Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Karen's Replicator - Alternatives ?

Hi,

I have been using Karen's Replicator for more years than I can remember. However since her sad passing and assuming that it won't be getting updated in the future, I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for a suitable alternative ?

I have a mix of PC's running Vista & Win7.

T.I.A.

Thanks
    There are several fine apps discussed in these forums. Acronis True Image Home (Now at version 12) is a fine paid app. Macrium Reflect has both a free version and a more full featured paid version.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Siber Systems GoodSynch, I use the paid version because it has specific features for handling links (hard, symbolic & junctions), I've not found similar features in other Synch/Replicate products.

I've also used 2BrightSparks Synchback, it comes in several flavours and apart from its handling of links, it was pretty good too.

FreeFileSynch and AllWay Synch are a couple of others I've seen mentioned favourably.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Karen's Replicator & Windows 7

I, too, have used Karen's tools for a long time and continue to use it with Windows 7. For scheduling of various copying tasks, it works just fine and I think you will be good to go for a few more years before seeking an alternative.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suspect that at least one of the responders is confused over what Karen's Replicator does.

I have been using this program daily for years to keep my desktop and my notebook in sync. So far, it has never let me down. But occasionally I have looked at Microsoft's SyncToy 2.1, which seems to have similar functionality, while being somewhat more complicated.

But like monroe36, I don't think there's any reason to rush...

Chris

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wartaaids View Post
    I suspect that at least one of the responders is confused over what Karen's Replicator does.
    According to reviews of Karen's Replicator on CNet:

Automatically backup files, directories, even entire
    drives! Karen's Replicator copies selected files from one drive/folder to
    another. Source and Destination folders can reside anywhere on your network.
    Files larger than 2 GB are supported.
    Options include repeated copies at intervals as short as a few minutes, or as
    long as several months, copy only files that have changed, and the replication
    of file deletions.
    New features allow you to specify which files should not
    be copied, and also which days a file should be skipped!

Cnet has the app for download.

Sounds very much like what either of the 3rd party apps I linked can do as well, except they tend to be much more full featured. It's a backup app that can also be used to sync. between folders.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using SyncToy and it works great. So simple. Once you have your different folders set up, a simple click keeps them in sync. The have both a 32 and 64 bit.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=15155

Thanks

MS synctoy question;

Question;
    I now run win7 (64bit) ....... and would like to use it to sync my laptop but it has Vista (32bit).

Anyone use this scenario?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagworld View Post
    Question;
    I now run win7 (64bit) ....... and would like to use it to sync my laptop but it has Vista (32bit).

Anyone use this scenario?
    There shouldn't be any issues with that setup. What are you worrying about?

You will need to install either the 64 bit version in the 7 x64 computer or the 32 bit version in the Vista laptop. Once you do it, everything will work fine.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-08-27 at 20:09.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Jagworld (2011-08-27)

Thanks
    @ruirub
    Just wondering about if they (64bit/32bit) would see/communicate with one another.

Ok, thanks for the answer!!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    @ruirub
    Just wondering about if they (64bit/32bit) would see/communicate with one another.

Ok, thanks for the answer!!!
    Hi,

No worries, files will be synced without any issues.

I use a newer thing to sync my files, also from Microsoft, which is Windows Live Mesh. My sync occurs between a x64 Windows 7 desktop and a 32 bit Windows 7 laptop, and there are no problems whatsover.
    If you want to sync stuff without having to share folders (like you need with SyncToy), Live Mesh may be worth a look. If you want to use SyncToy, you can install it in just one of your computers, either the 64 bit or 32 bit and then create as many folder pairs as you need (one pair per pair of folders that you want to maintain in sync).
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-08-27 at 19:56.

Thanks
    Being a legitimate "Old Timer" I find it interesting (actually amusing) how many different programs there are out there to do what I've been doing with a batch file for almost 30 years.

OS's may change but files seem to remain the same. "MyStuff.doc" or "ElmerFudd.jpg" is the same whether it's on Windows 98 or Windows 7/64.
    Files is files!
    The same batch file I used to back up my stuff on '98, works just as good on W-7.
    With the appropriate modifications, I've shared that batch file with Many friends and customers, to keep their own stuff backed up.

The most important thing, is not so much what program you use, but WHERE are you putting your backups?
    Are they going to a safe place? Can you readily access them if your computer goes up in a big ball of fire and smoke?
    Oh, so many questions to think about.

Interesting thread! Thanks!

OT
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    @DrWho
    I found this on the net as a cleanup bat......... is this any good?

-------------------

Rem: To save this listing as a batch file; Click 'File' then click 'Save Page as...'
    Rem: Keep the name as it is, and save it to your desktop of ease of use.

Rem: The Deltree.exe command must be in your C:\windows\system32
    Rem: folder before this program will run.
    Rem: This command can be found in any system running Windows 98 or ME. I've also
    Rem: placed this program on my webpage for easy access.
    Rem: The /y after deltree tells deltree to execute the command without stopping to ask if it's OK.
    Rem: The lines that do not adhear to the DOS 8+3 filename structure must be in quotes.

cls
    deltree /y C:\temp\*.*
    deltree /y %windir%\temp\*.*
    deltree /y "%windir%\system32\config\systemprofile\cookies\*. *"
    deltree /y "%windir%\SYSTEM32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\*.*"
    deltree /y "%windir%\SYSTEM32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*"
    deltree /y "%windir%\SYSTEM32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"

Rem: No need to duplicate the following section for each registered User
    deltree /y "%homepath%\Cookies\*.*"
    deltree /y "%homepath%\recent\*.*"
    deltree /y "%homepath%\Local Settings\cookies\*.*"
    deltree /y "%homepath%\userdata\*.*"
    deltree /y "%homepath%\Local Settings\History\*.*"
    deltree /y "%homepath%\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"
    deltree /y "%homepath%\Local Settings\History\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"
    deltree /y "%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Cookies\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\History\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\*.*"

Rem: the following line deletes the Virus Vault for AVG 7 anti-virus program.
    deltree /y "C:\$VAULT$.AVG\*.*"

Thanks
    @DrWho
    I found this on the net as a cleanup bat......... is this any good?

-------------------

Rem: To save this listing as a batch file; Click 'File' then click 'Save Page as...'
    Rem: Keep the name as it is, and save it to your desktop of ease of use.

Rem: The Deltree.exe command must be in your C:\windows\system32
    Rem: folder before this program will run.
    Rem: This command can be found in any system running Windows 98 or ME. I've also
    Rem: placed this program on my webpage for easy access.
    Rem: The /y after deltree tells deltree to execute the command without stopping to ask if it's OK.
    Rem: The lines that do not adhear to the DOS 8+3 filename structure must be in quotes.

cls
    deltree /y C:\temp\*.*
    deltree /y %windir%\temp\*.*
    deltree /y "%windir%\system32\config\systemprofile\cookies\*. *"
    deltree /y "%windir%\SYSTEM32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\*.*"
    deltree /y "%windir%\SYSTEM32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*"
    deltree /y "%windir%\SYSTEM32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"

Rem: No need to duplicate the following section for each registered User
    deltree /y "%homepath%\Cookies\*.*"
    deltree /y "%homepath%\recent\*.*"
    deltree /y "%homepath%\Local Settings\cookies\*.*"
    deltree /y "%homepath%\userdata\*.*"
    deltree /y "%homepath%\Local Settings\History\*.*"
    deltree /y "%homepath%\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"
    deltree /y "%homepath%\Local Settings\History\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"
    deltree /y "%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Cookies\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies\*.*"

deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\History\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\*.*"

Rem: the following line deletes the Virus Vault for AVG 7 anti-virus program.
    deltree /y "C:\$VAULT$.AVG\*.*"
    A quick glance tells me that it is Fred Langa's cleanup routine and it looks ok.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't upgrade from Acronis True Image 2011! Perusal of the Acronis forums reveals the latest 2012 version is rife with serious bugs. Stick with 2011 for the time being.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to walterono For This Useful Post:

rmonroe36 (2011-09-02)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast