5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question One for the books - formatting and printing

Well I had a problem today and I still cannnot explain what happend or why - well...I sort of know what happened - just not the why, how, etc. I was working on a very simple Excel spreadsheet which was one of 6 pages in a "book". I got it all set up with the correct formulas and all my check sums were working properly during the test. I then formatted it with a series of borders around the various rows and columns, put a header and footer on it and thought - "OK, now let's print this out" - well it came out with all the numbers and formula results correct except the "borders" that I had spent about 5 minute or so arranging didn't print (HP Laserjet 1300 - yup, its really old, but it does the job and I can still get toner cartridges for it). I went back and re-applied the formatting and still - didn't show on print, I tried a number of different things and still didn't print the borders...so I thought, well I will try a copy on my other printer (Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II) and see if the same thing happens...lo and behold it worked, everything was there - numbers, totals, cell borders, etc. So, now I am really puzzled. I closed the spreadsheet and re-opened it and tried printing to the HP again - this time everything worked.

Has anyone ever run into this situation before - I know I have not - and I am really puzzled why it didn't work after the spreadsheet was running properly, looked to be properly formatted on my monitor - everything looked good - printed on one printer not the other, and then, the after closing and opening the spreadsheet, all worked well and I have had no other trouble since. Any ideas, thoughts?

Regards,

Ron M

Thanks
    Just this:
    "Life is not fair"
    Computers are here to remind us of this.
    YMMV
    Last edited by RussB; 2011-08-25 at 10:53.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    Just this:
    "Life is not fair"
    Computers are here to remind us of this.
    YMMV
    One way to look at it - so is this the "learning" from this experience, because I don't know any more now than I did then ?

Ron M

Thanks
    Any chance the borders are outside the printable margins of your HP? Do they show up on print preview?

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Any chance the borders are outside the printable margins of your HP? Do they show up on print preview?

Jerry
    It is a very small spreadsheet and printable margins are not an issue. Thanks for the suggestion, I will keep it filed away, if I run into this situation again.

Regards,

Ron M