3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access freezing when modifying forms (2000)

When I am modifying forms, my computer all too often freezes. Any ideas why? Even better, any ideas of how I can get it to stop?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access freezing when modifying forms (2000)

Is this on a network or standalone? Is it one form or many different forms?
    Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am not on a network. I work by myself at home.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well the first thing I would try is Importing everything into a new Database. Something is hanging up in your current one. Create the new Db, go to File...Get External Data....Import....Select the Database giving you problems...then go to each tab in the import wizard and choose the Select All. If anything hangs while you are doing this that is usually the problem object in the problem database. Let me know. Good luck
    Paul

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you aren't getting an error of any sort, is there anything else running in the background at the time? Depending on the version of Windows you're running, try turning off FindFast (or the Windows 2000 equivalent, which is called something else) and make sure you don't have any other "helpful" apps like that sucking up processor time.

Also turn off Name Autocorrect in Access and see whether that makes a difference. Do you have a lot of tables in the database? If so, make sure you turn off the subdatasheets on all those tables as well. That will get rid of some of the nearly invisible stuff going on while you're trying to work on the form.

When this "freeze" occurs, can you bring up the task manager to show you what else is running and what kind of resources are being used? If so, that may give you a better idea of what is actually happening. If not, then I would definitely follow Paul's recommendation, since it's perfectly possible to get weird behavior embedded in a database and sometimes migrating the objects to a new one is the only solution.
    Charlotte