2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 User Logon Stalls

I have a recent problem, which I am not even sure of what the responsible component is.

I have user accounts set up on my Windows 7 machine (64-bit). When I boot, it comes to the screen where the user accounts are displayed. Normally I click on my own account within a few seconds of this screen appearing and when I do it immediately takes me to the screen where I enter my password. Once I enter my password the logon to my user account finishes.

But I have discovered that if I leave the user account display untouched for several minutes, clicking on my user account icon makes the user account display disappear but the password screen never appears. It seems to go into some sort of stalled state. The ONLY thing I am able to do is power off, then reboot. I don't know if waiting longer would work, but I have waited for 2 minutes or so without success.

As I said, I am not even sure if this is Windows 7, or the hardware or a virus or something else. I have run antrivirus scans numerous times and they have turned up nothing.

Anyone have any experience or ideas about this?

Spec details -
    Hardware - US Micro, Intel i5 CPU, 3.20 Ghz, 4 Gb RAM.
    OS - Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit

Thanks
    Is hibernate enabled? I wonder if this could be causing you PC to go into hibernate. I never had much success coming out of hibernate.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know if hibernate or sleep are enabled. I will have to research that question. Since I am only vaguely familiar with them, I know that I didn't knowingly turn either one on.

Some additional information which I forgot to include is this - Once any user account is actually logged on and they then select Switch User, it takes you back to the user account screen. When the user account screen is displayed from Switch User, it doesn't matter how many minutes I let it sit, i.e. clicking on any user brings up the password window, immediately. In other words, this stalling problem I have described occurs only after booting and the initial display of the user accounts screen.

Thanks
    I believe hibernate is set to enabled by default. To disable check this Windows Seven Forums article. Just a guess if this is your problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy