New Lounger
    Thanks

jv16 Powertools .vs. RegAce .vs. CCleaner's reg cleaner

I had gotten jv16PT from a recommendation from the LangaList's old newsletter but now I see that RegAce is recommended in the WS newsletter. What are the benefits of RA or jv16PT and also CCleaner's reg cleaner? I use Windows XP and will be moving to Windows 7 soon.

Thanks
    I have been using CCleaner for quite some time now. Not only have I had great success with the registry cleaner, but CCleaner also includes tools for clearing temp files. Under tools, it includes an Uninstaller, a Startup tab that allows enabling and disabling Startup apps, a System Restore function and a Drive Wiper. I do not know what functions the others include.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    CCleaner's registry tool I find to be very safe and mild, others milage may vary, but I have never experienced a catastrophic registry failure with it.
    jv16 Powertools is another multi purpose tool I like, but unlike CCleaner it could have devastating effects if used carelessly. It is a much more feature rich
    registry tool and all round file manager.
    6.jpg

Thanks
    I have also never had any problems using CCleaner registry cleaner. I actually use this app to clean temp files more often, but do use the registry cleaner regularly. As Clint mentions, you have to be very judicious in using any of these tools. If you do not know what you are cleaning leave it until you can investigate what you are cleaning. Plus this tends to be a great educational opportunity.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    When you move to Windows 7, consider not regularly using a registry cleaner. User it only if you think there is some severe damage to your system. Using a registry cleaner on a system that is working well has more potential for harm than good.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is now a Lite version of jv16 that is free of charge, although the full product is available for a 60-day no-strings trial for anyone who is interested (or who would like to try it on a specific problem).

I have been using it for years, but I note that it came dead last in a review at Software Industry Report dated August 27, 2011.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use CCleaner(with the additional CCEnhancer) - both the registry cleaner, add/remove programs panel, and the file cleaner. Also used jv16PT to clean and compact the registry. Only problem I've had with the latter was compacting th3e registry with a reboot before did cause Windows Live Messenger not to start.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My only significant use of jv16 is to clean the registry at a moderate setting with manual checking when another ‘Swiss army knife’ utility claims I have thousands of ‘registry errors’. It also has a set of tools that may prove handy when needed, provided you remember you have them, that is, unless you already use them regularly.

The report I linked to is interesting because the winning $30 utility has a money-back guarantee and I am going crazy trying to fix a ‘Windows Explorer is not working’ error on two computers which got it, along with a third, at about the same time. It must be an easy fix, because I repaired the third computer by using a restore point, but I haven’t had any luck with the other two and I am now desperate. If thirty bucks will fix it I’ll take it, but I can’t because the online ordering form doesn’t appear to have any provision for completing the transaction. (Uh oh – not a scam I hope.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I used to have AOL installed and ran it's uninstaller but then I did a search with jv16pt for "aol" in the registry and it found quite a few. Wonder why when you remove a program it still has traces left. I may contact AOL support and ask if there is a backroom utility that would do a full removal...

Thanks
    There IS an AOL removal tool, just like the Norton Removal Tool and the McAfee Removal tool.
    I have all those and use them often.

Norton can leave as many as 1891 entries in the registry when it's UN-Installed.

Office 2007, left 30 Megabytes of entries in my registry after an Un-Install.

For years I've used "Easy Cleaner 2" to clean my registry and remove junk files.
    Then I use NTREGOPT to re-compress the registry after cleaning.
    Both programs were/are FREE.

Easy Cleaner has not been re-written for Vista and Win-7, so for those OS's. I use the
    new AVG Tune-Up, which gets rid of junk files and registry errors. It also has an
    app for Optimizing your Internet Connection to your ISP. That alone is worth the
    price for the program. Sorry, it's not FREE..... not yet anyway.

The "Revo Uninstaller" will do a registry scan, after it's removed a program, to see if there are any left over registry entries to remove, then it gives you the option of removing them....or not. Neat! And, it's still FREE!
    I've used it a lot lately to get rid of programs that I though I'd like, but found to be less than expected, or just plain Crapola.

Cheers Mate!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-09-02 at 10:55.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I too had purchased JV16PT years ago at Freds recommendation. After years of satisfied use I was disturbed to find they are no longer honoring their FREE upgrades for life guarantee. I have only had infrequent need to use JV16 due to improvements in Windows over time and even then mostly to fix errors I had caused. If I have a need for any such tool (JV16,Regace,CCleaner) in the future I will stick to free or shareware.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xspired View Post
    I too had purchased JV16PT years ago at Freds recommendation. After years of satisfied use I was disturbed to find they are no longer honoring their FREE upgrades for life guarantee. I have only had infrequent need to use JV16 due to improvements in Windows over time and even then mostly to fix errors I had caused. If I have a need for any such tool (JV16,Regace,CCleaner) in the future I will stick to free or shareware.
    I nearly got burned on an 'upgrade offer' in the past week from Macecraft for the registered version of jv16 I already own, which (offer) is said to include a 'free' upgrade to 2012 'when it comes out'. The whole thing was bizarre: I think the 'half price' deal was $2.97, but if there is a charge for upgrading to 2012 it might make sense (but not in the way it was offered). To top it off they were trying to bill me (in Canada) in Euros and not at half-price.

'Free upgrades for life' is a widely used deception. It means free upgrades for the life the specified product, and if they change the name by changing the year (for example) they treat that as a different product requiring more money for an upgrade. That, after all, is the way it works with standard third-party utilities as they go through versions, with updates to versions free, but to call it 'for life' for the product is misleading. Grin and bear it - we don't want them to halt development.

You do have one trick up your sleeve; a 60-day trial is a very pleasant freebie if you urgently need the utility (and a fair incentive to buy), and the Lite version is indeed freeware and can be added to your collection at any time. I haven't tried it, but if you do you might give us a review, since everyone seems to use or mention one free product only.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2011-09-18 at 01:26.

Thanks
    If you are used to the sloppy way Windows XP does its housekeeping, you are in for a pleasant surprise when you upgrade to Windows 7. A lot of what we used to do manually is (or can be) handled automatically under Windows 7.

If it's not free, I would not use any Windows 7 tweaking or optimizing tools. There's more potential harm than good. Windows 7 performance does benefit from a bit of cleanup once in a while, but beyond that, the only Registry cleanup I would ever do are after a lot of programs have been changed or drivers have been updated. Not a very frequent occurrence, and between RevoUninstaller and CCleaner, those bases are well covered. Defragmenting is not necessary under Windows 7, as the OS itself by default will do a disk defrag if it is needed.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-09-21 at 15:55.
    -- Bob Primak --

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    I nearly got burned on an 'upgrade offer' in the past week from Macecraft for the registered version of jv16 I already own, which (offer) is said to include a 'free' upgrade to 2012 'when it comes out'. The whole thing was bizarre: I think the 'half price' deal was $2.97, but if there is a charge for upgrading to 2012 it might make sense (but not in the way it was offered). To top it off they were trying to bill me (in Canada) in Euros and not at half-price.
    "db"
    Hello, The offer was legit ..you just didn't scroll far enough down the page and select how you wanted to pay Euros \ Dollars. I initially had the same thought as you that this was "bizarre" ... But it turned out OK once i found that i could select how to pay and got jv-16 for $2.97.... even if they don't give me the new 2012...it's was still a great deal. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)