Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

IE won't connect on wireless laptop

I helped a friend install a new wireless modem, but IE won't connect on his wife's Vista SP2 laptop. When I go to the wireless connect window it shows the wireless connection is OK and it has a strong signal. However, when running Internet Explorer it cannot connect. As far as I can tell the wireless connect is there and working, but not IE or her Email program.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Hi Chuck,
    Check the Firewall settings.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    I would open the Network and Sharing Center (right click on internet icon in taskbar). You might have to setup a new connection or network.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-08-27 at 07:02.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I did work briefly with that, but no luck. I'll have to give it another try.

Thanks
    open up a command prompt. Type IPconfig /all and publish the results here.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately I'm doing this via phone with my friend, so I'm having to write down what he tells me, but here it goes:

Host Name ... Bettyjo-PC [That's his wife's computer name]
    Primary Dns Suffix ...
    Node Type:... Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled ... No
    WINS Proxy Enabled ... No

Wireless WIN Adapter (etc.):
    Connection Specific DNS Suffix ... san.rr.com
    Description .. Atheros AR5007 (etc.)
    Physical Address ... 00-23-4D-08-DF-CB
    DHCP Enabled ... Yes
    Auto Config ... Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address: (very long hexidecimal-like series)
    Default gateway... 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server ... 192.168.1.1

There is a bunch of other data, but the above is the first part.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Isn't there an IPv4 address?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, right underneath the IPv6 is this line:

IPv4 Address... 192.168.1.105 (Preferred)

Thanks
    That implies you have a good connection to the router. Right click on the wireless symbol and select troubleshoot problems.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, it has a good wireleess connection. I've been around the bend with the "troubleshooting problems" option to no effect. For some reason Internet Explorer and the Email program simply don't connect.

Thanks
    Open a cmd window and type ping www.microsoft.com. What are the results?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Ping returns "Ping request could not find host" which is no surprise. Somehow programs on the laptop are unable to connect through the wireless connection.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hello Chuck,

your friend is being assigned an IP address by the router, but a ping of an external website does not work. That indicates a problem with the DNS configuration.

There could be a number of things causing that, so please bear with me.

• Sorry to ask an obvious question: Is broadband connected? If the dsl connection has failed, there will be no external internet access.
    • The IPConfig /All data you supplied says something about a DNS setting of san.rr.com. Can you check the DNS settings in the network adapter? Is it set to get DNS automatically, or is there an IP address there? (Open the wireless adapter properties and drill down to the TCP properties to find this info). If there is an IP address entered in the DNS settings what is it?
    • Browse to the router login page, drill down into its Wide Area Network (WAN) settings and check the DNS settings. Is it set to automatically receive DNS from the service provider or is it set to a specific ip address (if so what?).
    • In the router config page, can you adjust the DNS settings? If you can, try setting DNS to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 (the OpenDNS.org servers). This will override anything from your friends service provider.
    • If you can't adjust the router DNS settings, try setting the laptop to the Open DNS settings above in the wireless adapter TCP settings.

By the way, I just tried to ping san.rr.com and it failed. It recognised the ip address as 24.25.195.1, but failed to reach the host. I tried a traceroute to 24.25.195.1 which also failed to identify a route to the dns host. I'm not familiar with that host, so can't say for sure, but possibly the dns host is offline. If that's the case, the above fixes to change the DNS settings to Open DNS should work.

Thanks
    I was going to ask Tinto's first question as well. There should be an indicator light on your router that indicates a good internet connection to your cable/DSL modem. Read the documentation that came with your router. If you have a good internet connection, follow the rest of Tinto's excellent advice.

Tinto, san.rr.com (Roadrunner ISP?) may be behind a walled garden only accessible by the ISP's customers.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    To repeat what I said before: The router is set up correctly. My friend's computer is hardwired to the router and it connects to the Internet with no problems. Running Ping www.san.rr.com from his computer (XP SP3) returns the ISP's IP address OK. san.rr.com is their ISP (San Diego Road Runner). In other words the Internet connection works normally from his computer.

The problem lies with his wife's laptop that connects wirelessly. At the laptop when checking the wireless connection it advises that it is connected OK. So she has a live wireless connection to the laptop, but internally the software (IE and Email) somehow can't find the connection.
    So I don't think the problem lies with the router. It looks like they need to reconfigure the laptop. I'll suggest going to IE Tools | Internet Options | Connections and follow that setup. I'll report back as soon as I know anything more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast