Thread: Easy Transfer

New Lounger
    Thanks

Easy Transfer

Hi. This is my first time here. Just picked up Woody's All-in-One book for Windows 7. Just starting out on Windows 7 for the first time since being an XP lover for years. I also got my A+ last year and frankly, I feel like I'm wimping out by using Easy Transfer with Belkin's cable kit.

Anyway, my question is this....should I install my old programs on 7 before I start the transfer? Or does it matter?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    There is no need to install the programs before the transfer. I actually prefer to do the transfer before the programs are installed, as some of them use the info if it is available at the time they are installed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. That makes sense. I feel better now.

Thanks
    You may not need to do the Easy Transfer. If you install Win 7 in the XP partition, Win 7 will create a folder called windows.old that contains the entire XP OS with all it's folders. You can grab all the stuff directly from here without using the Easy Transfer (I have read of a lot of problems using Easy Transfer) You would still have to install all your apps, but your documents, favorites, pics, music, etc can be copied/pasted directly from the windows.old folder to the new locations in Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Ted. I didn't mention that Win 7 is on a different computer. I was just being lazy. In my present job, we are transferring old XP files to new XP computers by just backing up the data files. A couple years ago, the company used transfer software that cause a lot of problems. They learned from the mistake and have us transferring manually. But here, I'm going from my XP to 7 and I'm just not that confident.

Thanks
    I have used Easy Transfer with no problems. The advantage of using it rather than moving data later is that it will put the data where it belongs and you don't have to tediously copy one folder at a time. It will also transfer a lot of program configuration options like Windows Explorer favorites and Outlook mail and contacts. There have been cases of it not working correctly but I believe that is in the minority of cases. Just don't rely on it 100%. You really don't have anything to lose as long as your data is backed up (which you want to do in any case) and it can save a lot of time gettiong running with Windows 7.

Jerry

Thanks
    OK, that does indeed make a difference. As Jerry states you have nothing to loose trying Easy Transfer then. You can always do the manual transfer if it does not work.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update: It looks like it worked well. Too early to tell for sure, but I think when I get the programs installed, everything will be normal. No problems to report. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks
    Glad it worked. Easy transfer can save a lot of time even though you still have to reinstall all your programs. Its been awhile since I used it but my recollection was that 90% of the email settings transferred over but I still had to set up one configuration item. (login ID/password??)

Jerry