Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Synching Outlook files

I've started using Windows Mesh with my three Win 7 pcs. This does a fairly good job of syncing most folders, although I don't like it introducing older copies of files from some pcs, and I am not sure that removing a file from one pc will be replicated with removal on others.

In any case, Mesh does not sync Outlook files on the three pcs. Is there a way to sync Outlook .pst files? [With Win 7 and Outllok 2003, I simply made all updates in my main desktop and then copied the .pst file to the other two pcs. Worked fine. However, I'm looking to sync files no matter which pc I'm using for updating.]

Thanks.

p.s. Also, my iPad synced beautifully (including music, contacts, and calendars) when I just connected it to my former Win XP pc running Outlook 2003. It is not doing this with my Win 7 pc running Outlook 2010. I have not researched this yet, but if you have any advice on this, too, please forward it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Can't help with all the issues, but if you remove one file from a synced folder, it will be removed from all the synced computers.

I don't know of any free tools to sync outlook files. There seem to be some paid apps available, though.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This applies to Inbox and I think to Sent Items (that was a late thought that I'm not sure of myself) only, and it depends on how often you use your three computers. Furthermore, there may be security concerns.

Now that I've just about disqualified the proposal in its entirety, I should point out that you probably have the option to leave mail on the ISP's server for a given length of time, and if you leave it there long enough for all three computers to check the mail, all three will pick it up independently of the others for you. The default setting in Outlook 2010 is 14 days to leave it on the server, but you can change the length of time it is there to suit yourself. The security issue is that you may not want to leave it there at all.

Rationalizing contacts and keeping them up to date is a chore I all but despair of, but so long as you maintain one as a master and make changes to that and only that, then syncing it with others can be accomplished by exporting the master to a file, and importing it into the corresponding file on the other computers. The same is true for all of the other syncing operations. The problem, of course, is that if you are on the road and acquire new data with a laptop and your master is a desktop, matters become more complicated. One suggestion for dealing with that is to save the data to a separate file (OneNote, for example), and fill it in when you are back at the master.

There is nothing elegant about solutions like those I'm afraid, but it is one (dreary) way of doing it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

update and additional issue

Thanks for the two inputs.

I solved the Outlook <> iPad issue. Like so often, simple if one finds the correct screen.

I have not solved the Outlook syncing issues, but -- as is pointed out above -- there are commercial packages which claim to solve this one. I'll have to look into them.

I have a new Mesh issue. Apparently one of my pcs (and maybe two) shut down inappropriately with the confusion during Irene last night. When I try to sync it with my desktop, I receive a message about the inappropriate closing (didn't react fast enough to get the precise wording). When I start Mesh, it does not recognize the earlier saved files, and it won't allow me to re-add them to my sync file list. [It tells me that the folders are already in another list or a part of a folder in another list.] Do I need to uninstall Mesh and start over, or ...?

Thanks again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I never experienced that, but I would just get the folder or folders in question and stop syncing them in all of the devices, and then would add them to be synced again. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

New Lounger
    Thanks

abandon outlook

4 months ago I thought Outlook in its various manifestations was the only way to keep contacts and email and a smart phone and my wife's ipad happy. We tried dropbox...that was hopeless but then my brother in law suggested gmail. Problem solved.
    Jeremy Vevers
    http://www.vevers.com

Lounger
    Thanks
    I could be missing something here, but I do this using Microsoft's new cloud Exchange server. Six bucks a month and it's like having your own private Exchange server. Mail, contacts and calendar are perfectly and automatically sync'd across all devices (for me it's two computers and an iPhone) and are also available via browser if you don't have devices with you, without any manual steps whatsoever, even if those devices are on different operating systems and using different versions of Outlook. So far haven't had a single hiccup.

Did I misunderstand your question?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LGruenfeld View Post
    I do this using Microsoft's new cloud Exchange server.
    Can you migrate existing email addresses to this service?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cloud exchange server flexibility

I never considered the cloud for this application -- will have to look into it. If it is as flexible as it sounds here, does it also sync an Android cellphone? Can you say, "Use the data from source x as the inital model for syncing?"

BTW: I uninstalled and reinstalled Windows Mesh to solve the Irene-related issue.

globalist

Quote Originally Posted by LGruenfeld View Post
    I could be missing something here, but I do this using Microsoft's new cloud Exchange server. Six bucks a month and it's like having your own private Exchange server. Mail, contacts and calendar are perfectly and automatically sync'd across all devices (for me it's two computers and an iPhone) and are also available via browser if you don't have devices with you, without any manual steps whatsoever, even if those devices are on different operating systems and using different versions of Outlook. So far haven't had a single hiccup.

Did I misunderstand your question?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been wondering if the new Cloud Exchange server is the way for me to go. I currently use Outlook 2007 on my main PC to download mail via POP3 from my ISP. I can access that same mail via my iPhone and iPad so get pending mail whilst away from my desk, downloading it to Outlook on my return. I have quite an extensive set of folders within Outlook to file things away. Additionally, I have archiving set and create a new archive file each year - this started as a way to keep pst file sizes down as Outlook could to be unstable if the file grew too big. I now have a series of archive pst files, along with my current one, all opened in Outlook, giving me a full mail history back to 1997 (and they work seamlessly with Outlook's search facility.

I make copies of the archive files and have them safely tucked away. They're also held on my laptop and I (weekly) copy my current archive and live pst files to it; I rarely use Outlook on the laptop to access new mail - rather it's my portable archive.

Anyway, I'm wondering if the new cloud service would work for me. What I need to be able to do is:
    1) Use my current email address.
    2) Load my pst files onto it (live and archives) - to ensure I keep the history. Total file size is only around 4GB so well within the account allowance.
    3) I can easily download and store selected mail locally (i.e. copy to a local pst).
    4) Access it, of course, with a variety of computers, including my iPad.

Anyone started to use it yet?

Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to know what others suggest to the above post - I am nearly an identical situation.

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you're not running your own email server or relying on a hosted email solution for an email domain you own, I don't really see how a cloud exchange solution can be of help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It did work -- thanjks!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Take a look at SyncPST

Quote Originally Posted by globalist View Post
    I've started using Windows Mesh with my three Win 7 pcs. This does a fairly good job of syncing most folders, although I don't like it introducing older copies of files from some pcs, and I am not sure that removing a file from one pc will be replicated with removal on others.

In any case, Mesh does not sync Outlook files on the three pcs. Is there a way to sync Outlook .pst files? [With Win 7 and Outllok 2003, I simply made all updates in my main desktop and then copied the .pst file to the other two pcs. Worked fine. However, I'm looking to sync files no matter which pc I'm using for updating.]

Thanks.

p.s. Also, my iPad synced beautifully (including music, contacts, and calendars) when I just connected it to my former Win XP pc running Outlook 2003. It is not doing this with my Win 7 pc running Outlook 2010. I have not researched this yet, but if you have any advice on this, too, please forward it.
    I've been using a program called SyncPST for years. It does not copy or sync the entire PST file - it does one-direction or both-direction syncs of the internal differences within the files (new contacts, emails, appointments, deletions, tasks, etc.) It is very fast. I'm just a user who got tired of trying to keep my PST files on a laptop and desktop the same without overwriting new data entered or received on both. SyncPST is not free. I also sync my hard drive folders with external hard drives using SyncToy, and create backup images of every partition. That way I preserve my archived Outlook files as well. I run SyncPST first, of course before backing up my laptop or desktop data folders.
    Last edited by JimSRBD; 2011-09-27 at 15:00.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JimSRBD For This Useful Post:

globalist (2011-09-27)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First, let me update my original post.

Mesh has worked very well, keeping non-Outlook files up to date on my three Win 7 pcs. It to me is uncanny the way it even follows file or folder renaming and deletions.

The syncing with iPad also works beautifully, once I found the right set-up screens.

Your message reminded me of some of past practices, e.g., SyncToy. I will look into SyncPST -- it sounds useful.

[But before I try this, I must find out why my two new hp pcs have shown me more blue screens in a few months than I had on three Win XP pcs over the past almost-decade. I am suspicious that it is caused by the Symantec system that came with the pcs. I purged Symantec from my Win XP pcs about 7 years ago because it introduced so many problems, rather than simply protecting me. At least some of the current error messages can be traced to Symantec drivers.]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast