2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can I trust "Sign in with Facebook"?

I have a Facebook account (even though I rarely use it). Quite regularly these days I visit some interesting website and would like to register for it, but find it offering me limited sign-up options, expecting me to use my pre-existing accounts with Facebook or some other social networking service. Previously, I always signed up to new sites making up a fresh new ID and fresh new password. What am I committing to by signing up with my Facebook ID and password? Do they then have my Facebook password? Surely not. Have I given them access to parts of my Facebook account, maybe so they can send me unsolicited messages or God knows what? Is it completely innocent and secure?

One thing I find about Facebook overall is that there doesn't seem a lot of handy documentation for how everything works. Until I understand it better, I'm hesitant about doing very much with my account.

Thanks
    At first blush, you might think logging in with Facebook is like OpenID or other schemes designed to consolidate your identity. But actually, it is more like importing that site into your Facebook activities. Since other people have had questions about the security and privacy of their Facebook information and activity on other sites, Facebook has a FAQ here: Login with Facebook - Facebook Help Center.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jscher2000 For This Useful Post:

DavidToronto (2011-08-28)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That was helpful. However, I still want to know a LOT more about what I'd be allowing. The Facebook Help page says, "When you connect or login to a website with your Facebook account, it can access information you’ve added on Facebook in order to provide a social and personalized experience on their application the site." That's too vague. What information exactly does it have access to, which fields? What information does it not have access to? What control do I have over its access? Yes, external sites agree to use the data in certain ethical ways, but how strong is the guarantee that they will keep their promise? This is the kind of info I want to know about Facebook security. Facebook doesn't seem quick to give answers.

I'm not sure if this is a case of my being much more ignorant of the facts than everybody else, or a lot of people not caring much about the security of their information.

Thanks
    I had the same concerns as you had David about clicking on the "Like" button on any web site. Factually I didn't / wouldn't do it. That is until I realized that the only data they are going to garner about you from Facebook or any other social media, is the information you put on there and choose to share. As for them providing you with personalized information, you can screw your facebook page down so tight that you won't get any. In fact I recommend that you do, and then start loosening things up a bit. Choose your sites carefully too.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    I would also read some of the threads in the Social Media forum. There is quite a bit of info on security presented there.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've noticed when I click "Like" on a business post, I'll start seeing posts in my News Feed and (I'm assuming) a lot more emails in the account I have tied to FB.
    The more things change, the more grey hair I get

Thanks
    From personal experience, I have clicked "Like"on 4 business, and none of them send me e-mails to the account that I have tied to Facebook. Lucky? possibly. If I did start getting e-mails from them however I would just opt out and take care of that! I do get postings from these in my news feed however and that is Ok.
    Best advice I can give, is be vigilant about the companies you "Like"
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Capitol Press Svc View Post
    I've noticed when I click "Like" on a business post, I'll start seeing posts in my News Feed and (I'm assuming) a lot more emails in the account I have tied to FB.
    Me too. It usually only takes 1-2 days before I decide to UN-Like those companies!
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrosz View Post
    Me too. It usually only takes 1-2 days before I decide to UN-Like those companies!
    Right there with you. I do NOT "like" businesses or organization, nor do I accept offers to login with my FB information. I have liked companies from within FB and immediately found myself flooded with their home page updates - solution is to hide posts from places like that. Which I do. I mean I love the Hunger Site but have no wish to see everything that gets posted on their FB page on mine. So I hide posts from quite a lot of places actually. I don't think I'm missing a thing, except annoyance, and that isn't missed, lol. :^)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The big problem I have with using Facebook as a login option is that it essentially turns the site you're logging into into one of your "friends," meaning that they can see any information you have marked as visible to friends on your profile. Since this usually includes common "challenge question" answers such as your high school, it poses a security threat. Worse, some of these third-party sites will actually display this information (such as your employer) to their visitors if you post a comment, which you may not want depending on where you work. Facebook still operates through the mindset of a college student, and until it matures, there will be problems using it as a universal login.

Thanks

Keep it basic and simple on FB

I use Facebook only to keep in touch with friends. I very rarely "like" something, and I don't play any of the games or click on any of the ads. I didn't do the free picture collage that people were doing about 4 months ago; then I found out that in order for someone to do the collage, they had to agree to let it grab all of their friends' profile pictures! (i.e. they agreed to allow the collage provider to grab their friends' info.) And I NEVER click the FB "like" button when I'm at someone else's website. (IF YOU DO, YOU'RE INVITING ALL OF THESE COMPANIES TO INVADE YOUR FACEBOOK SPACE!)

Kim Komando recently said that when you access Facebook from your smartphone, you're inviting hackers into your phone, where they can get all sorts of info, such as banking and financials, if you do that sort of thing from your smart phone. (By the way, I have a "stupid" [i.e. basic] phone, not a smart phone.)