Thanks

Delete my network drive? Correct systems settings.....

I was having trouble getting my two computers to share information because one is Vista and one is Windows 7. I created a Y: drive. Now my entire computer is there. I was reading some stuff that Karen posted about not doing windows update as it has caused a lot of problems. Now I am getting error messages when I try to disable windows update. There is one update that I downloaded but have not installed. I don't want to. Is that why it won't let me choose to stop all further updates, this is what it says when I try to open both Secunia PSI and when I try to stop from receiving any Microsoft updates.

Secunia\PSI\psi.exe
    The service cannot accept control messages at this time.

C:\Windows\system32\newdev.exe
    The service cannot accept control messages at this time.

I did mess with some of the settings on start program and wonder if I did something that is why I thought I should probably ask some one to direct me somewhere where it simply tells me what should be set to manual and what should be automatic etc.....

But I have decided that I am going to set up syncing because I don't like having my network open and I am learning by reading here that there are a lot of alternatives.

Ooppps, I just tried to go into computer manage and it says the same thing. Anyways I don't know if I called it the right thing. They are not the start up programs they are things that control how different operations run.... I think I messed something up. For now I'm gonna do a quick systems restore and hopefully someone will answer and I can do it right!

Thanks
    Hi Beachin,
    The Lounge usually helps others fix their PC, your post shows how to knacker it. All very Useful.
    Post back when System Restore is done successfully or not.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    I don't get what you are saying. I am trying to fix it. Are you saying that because I don't want any windows updates. If you knew the history you would understand. Without going into everything I am trying to fix it. That is why I asked for help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I wouldn't advise not using Windows Updates. If you use an imaging app with am external drive and you create an image before applying Windows updates, if any of the updates reveals itself problematic, you can always resort to the image made before, to restore your computer to the point you were in before the updates.

In your current situation, I would get the system back and running, would create an image from that point and would keep it. I would then create images regularly (once a week) and on special moments, like before applying Windows Updates. You could always resort to one the regular images when needed or if you wanted to go back to an even earlier point, you could always restore the image taken after getting the computer to its perfect working state.

My belief is that Windows Update is very important to keep you safe, security wise. I wouldn't stop it ever and the precautions I just described can be taken to avoid any catastrophic effects from using it (which I never experienced personally).

Thanks
    You said:-

Ooppps, I just tried to go into computer manage and it says the same thing. Anyways I don't know if I called it the right thing. They are not the start up programs they are things that control how different operations run.... I think I messed something up. For now I'm gonna do a quick systems restore and hopefully someone will answer and I can do it right!
    Have you done it ?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    It's Microsoft that created my situation. I don't want their updates. I have an image. I don't want any further trouble. I have Secunia and I would rather monitor. They took out both systems just this month. A year ago same things. I don't want them to have access to my computer. I want to be able to control my downloads but not just by viewing them. I want to go there and read what they are and the risks. It might be a bad coinsidence but this is just the way I prefer to handle it now. Since installing Outpost Security Pro Suite 7.5 and using Secunia my programs are all up to date as well as my drivers. That was not the case when allowing updates from Microsoft and or Drivers.

Thanks
    Here is the hotfix that caused all the problems and what it said about it on the internet. Maybe someone can help with this info:

KB981889

- A Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) driver hotfix rollup package is available for Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2

The following hotfixes will be replaced:
    976759 WFP drivers may cause a failure to disconnect the RDP connection to a multiprocessor computer that is running Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

979278 Using two Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) drivers causes a computer to crash when the computer is running Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows Server 2008

979223 A nonpaged pool memory leak occurs when you use a WFP callout driver in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, or in Windows Server 2008 R2

Thanks
    You can easily stop WU from downloading anything to your PC. Open the Windows Update windows, click on Change settings and set the drop down box and set Never check for updates, or check for updates and let me choose what to download.

WindowsUpdateOptions.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy