New Lounger
    Thanks

Arial font problems in Windows 7

Hi,

I've just bought a Windows 7 pc which came complete with Microsoft Word Starter 2010. The problem I'm having is that arial, which is the font I
    use for most of my work, will not display properly. I find there is irregular spacing and the characters do no look right. Strangely, Arial looks fine in
    other applications, such as notepad.

This is driving me crazy - anyone experienced anything similar? Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Thanks
    Adam, Welcome to the Lounge.

What version of Office did you have prior to the new PC? It appears the general concensus is that Word 2010 fonts did not install correctly and that a reinstall might solve your problem. Since this came preinstalled on your PC, did reinstallation disks come with the PC. If not contact the place you purchase the PC and explain the problem. Their Tech support people should be able to help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I noticed when I turned off ClearType in Windows 7 display settings that the font spacing in Word 2010 and some other applications became inconsistent. This could be related to display drivers: some Firefox support posts report that the inconsistent spacing problems are fixed if you install IE9 (however, I can't test this).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If it displays correctly in other apps, it suggests that the font is probably OK. I suggest you make sure you have the latest printer and graphics drivers for your PC. Don't rely on Windows Update: go to the manufacturers' web sites and check for the latest drivers.

As a by, make sure that you have the View Zoom set to 100% and that you are in Print Layout view too.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your useful replies.

I'm pretty sure the fonts are okay as they display correctly in all other applications, apart from word processors.

I've tried three now - Word starter, openoffice and libreoffice and the problem is the same in each program.

After a bit of playing around, I think the problem is related to the Microsoft Truetype system, but turning it off causes desktop fronts to look strange.

The really frustrating thing is that in Word Starter the font even looks correct when I open the fonts menu and scroll down to Arial, just not when typing!

Does anyone know of a word processor that allows you to manually adjust the smoothing/anti-aliasing setting for fonts?

Thanks again,
    Adam