Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Recommend AV software?

I have been using Trend Micro Internet Security and my subscription is running out. Trend Micro is urging me to renew to their new Trend Titanium Internet Security. It is using cloud technology and I don't know if I want to go there. I would appreciate any thoughts as well as recommendations for good AV software.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge.

Ed Bott, a reputed blogger, thinks Trend Micro Titanium Internet is a good option.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Bluecollar (2011-08-28)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluecollar View Post
    I have been using Trend Micro Internet Security and my subscription is running out. Trend Micro is urging me to renew to their new Trend Titanium Internet Security. It is using cloud technology and I don't know if I want to go there. I would appreciate any thoughts as well as recommendations for good AV software.
    "blue"

Hello... This question is going to start a "War" ....But none the less a legitimate one ... For years i have used Norton ... 360 and now Norton Internet Security 2011 along with Malwarebytes PRO ...No Windows "Stuff" at all ..or any of the other "Freebies" I have used this scenario on Vista and "7 \ 32 and 64" without any problems (so far) In addition... all of my OS's have no security patches from windows at all (Switched it off years ago) The main reason that i like "Norton" 2011 is that i can completely configure it to my needs ...(not available with the freebies to this extent) Let the screaming begin ... Regards Fred

PS: See this link for more info about Norton internet security 2011 Norton 2011
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-08-28 at 17:07.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Bluecollar (2011-08-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Norton keeps popping up as an option. My last experience with Norton was with an XP machine a few years ago and I promised myself that when I got that monkey off my back I would not make that mistake again. I think it was more lousy customer service and software conflicts that turned me off though. I may have to give it another look.

Thanks
    AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011

MSE

Either of the above will do nicely, and they are free.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Bluecollar (2011-08-28)

Thanks
    I have to give the thumbs up to MSE and/or Avast. I have used both and can recommend either for your needs.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Bluecollar (2011-08-28)

Administrator
    Thanks
    This is my personal opinion so you will have to consider it as such. Ever since I connected to the internet at home, at a time where 56k modems were as fast as you could get, I have used the combination of a software firewall and an AV product. My first such product was Norton, that I soon got fed up with. I moved to ZoneAlarm, together with an AV ans stayed with it for a few years. Then ZA had a few problems and I switched to Online Armor++, using a variery of AV products with it, from Vipre to MSE.

As things stand, security wise, I wouldn't just use an AV product. Malware is usually ahead of antimalware, so if you can have a combination of multiple, non interfering products, that still allow you to use your computer without unneeded memory usage and taking too much CPU, I believe that is a better option. I never had an infection on my computers and even my wife, who is a lot less knowledgeable on these matters, has managed to have her laptop malware free.

That means that I am happy with what I have now, (Online Armor with MSE or Vipre - different PCs), but I wouldn't mind using a product that offered multiple types of protection, such as the latest generation of Norton or Trend Micro. They seem to provide different types of protection, which does increase the possibility that malware will have more difficult infecting a system protected in this way. These products, though, are not silver bullets and a proactive attitude, regarding browsing habits, downloads and email usage, is still the best thing that can go along with the use of good security products.

Of course, a good backup strategy will also save the day if the unlikely infection ever comes about, but it will also be useful for other no security issues that can affect a computer.

Thanks
    I have to agree with Rui. I also have MSE with Online Armor++ software firewall. I have stated in various posts that a multi-layered approach with AV/AM, software firewall and router with hardware firewall is the best approach.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Should be simple

Ted, I think you, ruirib and I think a lot alike. In addition to Trend Internet Security I am running Malwarebytes Pro.( I was so grateful after they saved my new computer that I was happy to upgrade.) Also have a router with a firewall running. This has been a trouble free setup, my only problem is that it looks to me that Trend Titanium has become bloated with features that I really am not needing. So if I decide to use MSE is Windows firewall adequate or should I look around?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Many users are happy with MSE and the Windows Firewall. Given my habits, I probably could do with them, but I rather like the additional protection of my current setup. Many Loungers will vouch for that particular setup, though.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Bluecollar (2011-08-29)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using the latest version of Norton (free from my ISP -I agree that former versions were resource-intensive), as well as Threatfire, WinPatrol & Spyware Blaster (belt-and-suspenders approach). So far, so good.... (Hope I don't jinx myself.)

Zig

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

Bluecollar (2011-08-29)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluecollar View Post
    Ted, I think you, ruirib and I think a lot alike. In addition to Trend Internet Security I am running Malwarebytes Pro.( I was so grateful after they saved my new computer that I was happy to upgrade.) Also have a router with a firewall running. This has been a trouble free setup, my only problem is that it looks to me that Trend Titanium has become bloated with features that I really am not needing. So if I decide to use MSE is Windows firewall adequate or should I look around?
    Be careful with MSE and Malwarebytes Pro. I believe the Pro version has real time protection. Since MSE also includes real time protection (AM) as well as AV, there may be conflicts between MSE and Malwarebytes Pro. Not sure about this, but the old adage is do not run 2 similar security apps in real time. I use the free version of Malwarebytes for regular manual scans, but not for real time protection. I leave that to MSE.

I just had better success with a 3rd party firewall. The Win 7 firewall has had good press, but I find the 3rd party firewall easier for me to configure for both inbound and outbound requests.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Bluecollar (2011-08-29)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Independent Researchers

Hi Bluecollar : I recommend you check out the Results of testing done by the Independent Researchers at www.av-comparatives.org , particularly their "Whole Product Dynamic Test " . Last I heard, MSE declined to participate in that test !? I have been a very satisfied User of the FREE Avast Antivirus Home Edition for several yrs, using also Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and "SUPERAntiSpyware" in addition to using a software firewall . I also use the FREE Spywareblaster from www.javacoolsoftware.com .
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

Thanks

Thanks
    Malwarebytes Pro real time protection runs fine with MSE as long as you set up exclusions in both programs. I've been running both for a while with no issues.
    From the MBAM FAQ:

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Microsoft Security Essentials:

• Open Microsoft Security Essentials and click on Settings at the top
    • Click on Excluded processes on the left
    • Click on the Browse... button
    • Click on the + next to your primary hard drive (usually C:)
    • Click on the + next to Program Files Note: for 64 bit Windows versions this will be Program Files (x86)
    • Click on the + next to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Click once on mbam.exe and click on OK
    • Repeat steps 3-7 for the following files:
      • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
      • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    • Click on the Add button
    • Click on Save at the bottom and click Continue if prompted
    • Close Microsoft Security Essentials

Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and update it then enable the protection module and the issue should be resolved. You may also wish to do the following, as it has been shown to improve system responsiveness/performance:

Set Exclusions for Microsoft Security Essentials 2.x in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:
    • Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
    • Click the Add button on the lower left
    • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Microsoft Security Client and click OK
    • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

23. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Medico (2011-08-29)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast