Thanks

Does Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade allow full clean install?

Got a question regarding Anytime Upgrade.

I will be upgrading from W7 x64 Home Premium to Professional. Now, if I were to do a clean install sometime after receiving this, would I have to reinstall Home Premium, upgrade to Pro, then install SP1?

I have a W7 x64 Pro SP1 installation disk, burned from an ISO file. Am wondering if the Anytime Upgrade key would allow me to install directly from this disk. It sure would save time.

Any thoughts?
    Rob G

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." - Mark Twain

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    HP G72-227wm - Windows 7 Professional x64 (SP1)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    My understanding is that the anytime upgrade is basically a new key to unlock the higher version of Win 7. Once you unlock it, start creating Images as you make changes. This way you can restore from an Images you created in about 10 minutes. Much faster than reinstallation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Copy that, but I have to do a clean install first to get a clean image. I only recently purchased Acronis; by that time a clean image was but a distant memory.
    Rob G

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 1,026 Posts
    I can't be sure about it, but I would think you could use the upgrade key to validate the Pro version immediately.
    I used a normal key to do a anytime upgrade and had no issues. Of course, I haven't yet reinstalled Windows on that PC, yet, but that leads me to think windows keys are just adequate for a given version. If you got a anytime upgrade for Pro, I would expect that it would work for a Pro install, regardless of it being a new install or just an upgrade over home.

Either way, you won't lose much by trying the Pro install. The key is requested at a very early step during the installation. If it fails, the installation won't really have started, and you can go the longer route.

Thanks
    If you are asking should you do a clean install before using the Anytime Upgrade, that's up to you. Is your Home Premium version working well. If so then no you do not have to do a clean install. You can use the new key to unlock the Pro edition. If you are having problems with your present installation then perhaps you should do the clean install using the iso file and your present HP key, then follow the instructions in the link I provided to do the Anytime Upgrade. So it depends on how comfortable you are that your present installation does not have problems.

The iso file you downloaded would need to be burned to a DVD (right click the file and choose Burn To Disk). I also believe you can pop it in, use the Anytime Upgrade key to install Win 7 Pro from the iso file. These iso files include all versions of Win 7 (i.e. if you downloaded the 64 Bit iso file it includes HP, Pro and Ultimate, if you downloaded the 32 Bit version it includes HP, Pro and Ultimate) and your key unlocks the correct version. If this is not the case simply reinstall the HP version then use the Anytime Upgrade.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-08-28 at 20:00.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Way too much information.

Let me rephrase: I have a W7 x64 Pro SP1 installation disk, already burned from an ISO file. Has anyone actually used an Anytime Upgrade key to do a full clean install?

I figured that someone here must have tried this already and could say for certain. It seems logical that it should work, but you never know.

I'm going to try it, and I will let you all know the results.
    Rob G

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm guessing its a two part procedure, first you install W7 64 SP1 and then apply the anytime upgrade key after that. Unless its a VM, the key is aplied post installation anyway isn't it? I'm also guessing the installation has to be validated first with the original key before the anytime upgrade key can be applied...am I right? ....I can see it working just as easily with the anytime upgrade key from the get-go too...a-n-y-t-i-m-e.
    Last edited by Infinicore; 2011-08-30 at 16:49.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rlg118 View Post
    Got a question regarding Anytime Upgrade.

I will be upgrading from W7 x64 Home Premium to Professional. Now, if I were to do a clean install sometime after receiving this, would I have to reinstall Home Premium, upgrade to Pro, then install SP1?

I have a W7 x64 Pro SP1 installation disk, burned from an ISO file. Am wondering if the Anytime Upgrade key would allow me to install directly from this disk. It sure would save time.

Any thoughts?
    NO
    You will need to clean install your W7 x64 Home Premium by entering it's product key. Only after first boot will you be able to
    use your Professional edition key to unlock the W7 pro features.

A W7 64 bit pro SP-1 iso copy must only be used with it's own product key and not the "Anytime Upgrade" key.
    If you want the above disk to be usable & bootable then you must burn to DVD and purchase the key specifically for it.

Anytime upgrade doesn't give you a bootable clean install disk to whatever version you are upgrading to.
    It is only a cheaper way to upgrade. You will still need your original disk.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-08-30 at 19:27.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

rlg118 (2011-08-31)

Thanks

Anytime Upgrade

I'm not sure about Starter, but for any other edition of Windows 7, whenever you (or the OEM) install the OS, all versions are written to the hard drive in the Windows folder. The files necessary for the version for which you have a license are active; all files for versions above yours are dormant, but present on the hard drive in the Windows folder.

For Anytime Upgrade, you can either purchase a key online from your PC manufacturer (in most cases) or directly from Microsoft.

When you click on Anytime Upgrade, it asks for a key. That key can also be from a retail version of Windows 7 that is a level higher than your version; it doesn't have to be from the PC manufacturer or from Microsoft. A valid key (OEM, Microsoft or Retail) will start the process of activating the dormant files already on your hard drive for the version to which you are upgrading and placing unnecessary files in a dormant condition.

If you want to do a clean install, follow CLiNt's instructions.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2011-08-30 at 21:03.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

rlg118 (2011-08-31)

Thanks
    That's what I wanted to know.

So (and correct me if I'm wrong here) I would do a clean install of Home Premium, apply the upgrade, then apply SP1.

After that, add whatever updates are still available, then image the drive so I don't have to go through it again...
    Rob G

Thanks
    Sounds like a plan. There are many avenues, but your outline seems the best. The anytime upgrade only takes minutes after the initial reinstallation. SP1 will apply whatever updates you need after doing the anytime upgrade. Any updates after SP1 would then need to be applied.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    There's a ton of 'em. When is SP2 coming out?
    Rob G

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suggest you take them at their word and interpret it to mean exactly what it says. You can do it anytime. As BBearren has pointed out, everything you need is already in place - all you need is a number to activate it. Plug the number in and see what happens. You might be plesantly surprised to discover the upgrade taking place before your very eyes, and without your uninstalling or clean-installing anything. You might require a few updates. If it doesn't work that way, then take the longer route and start grumbling.