Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2007 extra blank pages @ New page Section break with Odd/Even pages

I did not have this probelm in Word 2003.

However, in Word 2007when I add a new page section break from the Page Layout tab and ask for different Odd/Even page headers and footers, Word takes it upon itself to add extra blank pages to force the Odd numbered pages to start on the right. I am designating the beginning of the section to start on a New Page NOT an Odd Page, so why is Word doing this.

Better yet, is there a work-around for this feature???

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Georgette

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's normal and always have been so. I wouldn't want it any other way either. Odd pages always start on the right. Once you select Different Odd/Even H&Fs in Page Layout, Odd will always be on the right and Word will always slip in a blank even page when necessary.

You can work around this by turning off different Odd/Even H&Fs. In the H&Fs, use the IF field to use different H&Fs depending on the argument that the page is Odd or Even.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgette View Post
    I am designating the beginning of the section to start on a New Page NOT an Odd Page, so why is Word doing this.
    If you use View > Draft, do your section breaks show the expected description -- Section Break (Next Page) -- or something else?
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-08-29 at 18:20.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TerFar View Post
    That's normal and always have been so. I wouldn't want it any other way either. Odd pages always start on the right. Once you select Different Odd/Even H&Fs in Page Layout, Odd will always be on the right and Word will always slip in a blank even page when necessary.
    Just a note that if you don't restart page numbering in each section, Word doesn't insert the blank pages. Not sure whether any fancy field work can replace Word's "Start at" feature; your suggestion to detect whether the page is odd or even probably is more practical.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jscher2000 For This Useful Post:

Georgette (2011-08-30)

Lounger
    Thanks
    jscher2000: So when Odd/Even H&Fs are paired with contiguous page numbering, the blank pages are not inserted; yet restarting page number in each section does insert blank pages.
    That explains a lot to me. Mystery revealed!!! Many thanks.

Tefar: Does your workaround of turning the Odd/Even H&F off and using the IF field involve programming? How does this work, exactly.

Many thanks for helping in solving my problem

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Also if you use section breaks that specify Start on Odd Page you can get those blank pages.