New Lounger
    Thanks

Installation problem "can't create shortcut lnk"

The installation ends with Warning 1909: could not create shortcut (name of software).lnk

My case is Axcrypt install on Win7, but google tells me that the error has been around since XP. MSoft help isn't: they say to uninstall MSOffice - which I don't have. Axcrypt says they haven't seen this error before.

If done SFC/scannow and all's OK. Same with ccleaner to remove junk and check registry. I've taken ownership of Windows/system32 files, since I think that is where the shortcut might be created. Finally I created a new user, also admin, and tried the install with that sign-on. Same result: the warning 1909 again stops the installation cold.

I think it's a general problem since I get the same complaint with dropbox software and the latest Evernote. But in both of those cases the install goes OK and everything seems to work just fine.

Since it's not one piece of software, and since it's an old problem (but an unanswered one...), I thought: why not come here for some ideas!

Any help would be much appreciated. Actually more than that, since all my personal info sits encrypted and inaccessible!

TIA

Carls

Thanks
    Hi Carls,

Attachment 29017

Normally, you can go to program files in C: find the .EXE file and right click, send to, create shortcut on desktop.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This question pertains to an install program that fails because _it_ can't create a shortcut. No problem for me to create one. <g> But that's not the problem here.

I _think_ is has to do with the CLSID registry entry being screwed up. Can someone please tell me the first line of the entry? Mine is:

Key Name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID
    Class Name: <NO CLASS>

and I _think_ it's supposed to be:

Key Name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID
    Class Name: REG_SZ

If someone'd be kind enough to check in their Win7 registry, I'd be very appreciative.

Carls

Thanks
    Ok, remember, no two peoples PC are exactly alike, OK?
    Having said that, you're right, my own XP-Pro-SP3, not Win-7, does have that line you mentioned in your post,

Plus, I have one more line that starts with CLBVersion the type is Reg_DWORD and the data is Ox0000000b(11)

That works on my PC but may not work on yours. But what can it hurt to try? You can always set it back, Eh?

Good Luck,
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-08-31 at 12:07.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Some installation programs attempt to place the desktop shortcut in the public folder (c\users\public\desktop in Win 7), and if you don't have the rights to create things in the folder you can get this message. I get that message all the time on my laptop at work because I have locked down that folder so that the automatic "healing" script that runs when I log in can't restore the numerous icons that the IT department things should be on my desktop. (I follow a minimalist approach to desktop icons: only files I need to do something with appear there. Usually I have only the Computer icon, nothing else.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "Taking ownership" of the users/public/desktop didn't work, but that's a good suggestion and starts me thinking. The rejected shortcut is for the uninstall program, so now I'll write the author and see where s/he planted that. From there ..