Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

How do I stop text from Websites pasting into Word with white highlighting.

I’ve been copying, and pasting, “How To” articles and “Recipes” since the year 2000. When I was given a copy of Office 2003, I began pasting into them. Until recently they looked fine, but now, everything I paste is highlighted with white. I now have to select all the text, cut it, and paste it with "Edit" > “Paste Special ” > “Unformatted Text”. This is repeatable from every website, so it must be a setting in Word, that has been changed, but I don’t know where to dig for it. I just copied this thread and pasted it, so I'd have a copy, and it pasted into a white box on the document.

Gratefully,
    Bigbro

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Pasting problems in Word 2003

Previously posted as "How do I stop text from Websites pasting into Word with white highlighting."
    Until recently everything I pasted into Word 2003 looked fine, but now, everything I paste shows up in white boxes. This is not highlighting though, because selecting the text and choosing "No Highlight" does not change it. To get rid of this formatting problem I now have to select all the text, cut it, and paste it with "Edit" > “Paste Special ” > “Unformatted Text”, or I have to choose the "Style" drop menu and select "Clear Formatting". This is repeatable from almost every website, so it must be a setting in Word, that has been changed, but I don’t know where to dig for it. It is clearly a type of formatting, but I don't know how to change it back to normal.

Gratefully,
    Bigbro

Thanks
    I generally use paste-special unformatted to paste from the web so am unfamiliar with this problem. Does it happen with every web site? With only one word selected?

PS It would probably be better to continue your previous posting rather than post again, especially if there were responses to your earlier post.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2011-09-04 at 22:47.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    BigBro,

I've merged your latest post, back into the original thread. Please don't start duplicate threads.

Could you possibly attach an example document, demonstrating the problem? - the paste problem you're describing sounds unfamiliar.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Frieder View Post
    BigBro,

I've merged your latest post, back into the original thread. Please don't start duplicate threads.

Could you possibly attach an example document, demonstrating the problem? - the paste problem you're describing sounds unfamiliar.

Gary
    I've attached a word doc to this post in hopes that you will be able to see the formatting, but as usual it probably won'r be the same when you open the file, so I am including a screen capture so you can see a photo of what I see.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Paste it in your original post. I'll look at it there.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    I see now: when you copy from IE (not Firefox), IE loads the clipboard with very detailed background color information. When Word converts from HTML, it converts that background color to Shading. (You can see this in the Borders and Shading dialog, but it's subtle: it shows the color white rather than the wording No Color or Automatic.) If the shading is a color other than the Word document's background color, then you see the shading against the background color.

If you want to remove white shading (or all colors of shading) from paragraphs in a document, you could run a clean-up macro. You actually might want to add other features, but here's a start:

Code:
    Sub ShadingRemoveWhiteBackground()
    ' Remove white shading from paragraphs
    Dim aPar As Word.Paragraph
    For Each aPar In ActiveDocument.Content.Paragraphs
        If aPar.Shading.BackgroundPatternColor = wdColorWhite Then
            aPar.Shading.BackgroundPatternColor = wdColorAutomatic
            aPar.Shading.ForegroundPatternColor = wdColorAutomatic
        End If
    Next
    End Sub

Sub ShadingRemoveAllColors()
    ' Remove all shading from paragraphs
        If aPar.Shading.BackgroundPatternColor <> wdColorAutomatic Then
        End If
    Next
    End Sub
    Edit: I tested in a .docx file in Word 2010 pasting from IE8, but I don't think this is limited to that combination.
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-09-06 at 19:11. Reason: Added note.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When I open your sample document, I don't see the effect here - just black text on a regular white Word background.

In your attached screen capture, it looks like the background of the Word document, as well as the background for the built-in dropdowns on the toolbars, are all gray - is that due to a change that you've made to the color scheme for your Windows environment? - if so, that might explain why the effect you're getting generally goes unnoticed - copying text from a white-backgrounded web page onto a whilte-backgrounded Word document isn't going to produce any distinguishable background highlighting - even if Word is applying shading per the mechanism Jefferson suggests.

Gary

Thanks
    There is a free App that was mentioned in a WS news Letter a while back, it makes pasting without formatting a "snap". I have gotten dependent on it.
    http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext/
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    There is a free App that was mentioned in a WS news Letter a while back, it makes pasting without formatting a "snap". I have gotten dependent on it.
    http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext/
    How about this macro I found at Create a shortcut to paste unformatted text into a Word document | TechRepublic

Sub NoFormatPaste()'
    ' NoFormatPaste Macro
    ' Macro created 9/3/2007 by
    '
    Selection.PasteSpecial DataType:=wdPasteText
    End Sub

This macro works real well, but I still don't like what has happened to Word. I started over by creating another template from one that does not do do it and fixed it that way, but I'd still like to know what happened to my original template. Sure glad I had saved several copies of the normal.dot template that I could fall back on. Only problem with this template is it was modified using text from another template that had a font (MS Sans Serif) from a website I had pasted from. It works fine, but I don't have that font installed on my puter, the closest is Microsoft Sans Serif and they are not the same. If I change it, I can't revert. I like the font more than Microsoft Sans Serif, and tried to find a free version, but I don't know how to search very well and have been unsuccessful.
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-09-07 at 22:20. Reason: Fixed link.

Thanks
    Whether you use PureText or paste as plain text, you remove much more than the background color. It really depends on what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbro51 View Post
    Only problem with this template is it was modified using text from another template that had a font (MS Sans Serif) from a website I had pasted from. It works fine, but I don't have that font installed on my puter, the closest is Microsoft Sans Serif and they are not the same. If I change it, I can't revert. I like the font more than Microsoft Sans Serif, and tried to find a free version, but I don't know how to search very well and have been unsuccessful.
    Word will substitute another font it thinks is similar to the missing one. It should be possible to figure out what is being substituted and just use that one.
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-09-07 at 22:23.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Whether you use PureText or paste as plain text, you remove much more than the background color. It really depends on what you want.

Word will substitute another font it thinks is similar to the missing one. It should be possible to figure out what is being substituted and just use that one.
    You're right - After reading what you said, I searched and found that Times New Roman is closest to it, if not the very same.

Thanks for the tip!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same problem when copying text from Chrome browser. When I use Opera, I don't have such problems. I don't know the reason for this, because I have set my Word to copy plain text without formatting or anything. Don't know why doesn't it work here.
    Last edited by Ressab; 2011-10-21 at 08:55.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ressab View Post
    I have set my Word to copy plain text without formatting or anything. Don't know why doesn't it work here.
    Where is that setting? It's possible that it only applies to text you copy inside Word.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    I see now: when you copy from IE (not Firefox), IE loads the clipboard with very detailed background color information. When Word converts from HTML, it converts that background color to Shading. (You can see this in the Borders and Shading dialog, but it's subtle: it shows the color white rather than the wording No Color or Automatic.) If the shading is a color other than the Word document's background color, then you see the shading against the background color.

If you want to remove white shading (or all colors of shading) from paragraphs in a document, you could run a clean-up macro. You actually might want to add other features, but here's a start:

Code:
    Sub ShadingRemoveWhiteBackground()
    ' Remove white shading from paragraphs
        If aPar.Shading.BackgroundPatternColor = wdColorWhite Then
        End If
    Next
    End Sub

Sub ShadingRemoveAllColors()
    ' Remove all shading from paragraphs
        If aPar.Shading.BackgroundPatternColor <> wdColorAutomatic Then
        End If
    Next
    End Sub
    Edit: I tested in a .docx file in Word 2010 pasting from IE8, but I don't think this is limited to that combination.
    I copied a recipe the other day, which had the formatting I was talking about, and tried your macros and they worked great. Thanks!

Gratefully,
    Ferrell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast