Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Word 2007 template problem

Hi All,

I'm sure this has been dealt with in the distant past, but I've only recently been forced to move over to Word 2007.

I have made a template with some nifty macros to make my life easier. To my dismay, I find that I cannot customize the Riboon and to my shock, I found that any changes to the QAT were local and not template specific. So I may be able to use my template easily, but no one else can.

Is there an EASY way to do one of the following:

Customize the QAT for the template only.
    Cusotmize the Ribbon

Then give the template with these customizations to other colleagues to work with for their documentation?

IF there is no easy way, are there tools that will help me make my template which can do this?

Finally, and I suppose there is no rhyme or reason, but I have to ask, why the heck did Microsoft make it so hard for us to make robust and usable templates? How do they get away thinking they've done a good job, when what they've really done was to make an essentially new program for the lowest common denominator? END VENT

Thanks in advance for your help and advice on this

Thanks
    Look under the Add-ins tab. If you had your macros on a custom toolbar you should find them there.

You can still assign keyboard shortcuts to your macros and store them in a template. If you still have access to Word 2003 you can create a custom toolbar in your template and then use that in Word 2007.

Finally, you can add all of the custom menus and commands that show up under the Add-ins tab to the QAT. If you customize the QAT in this way, your customizations should only show when your template is loaded or attached.

Not easy, simple, or elegant. I share your pain. I skipped Word 2007 (uninstalled it) for 2010 which is somewhat better. I still keep 2003 installed.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2011-08-31 at 09:00.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Charles,

Thanks for the advice. One small problem. There is NO Add-Ins tab. That tab only appears when I work with an imported Word 2003 template.

Dvora

Thanks
    See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...mizeribbon.htm. Note that Word 2010 does allow limited customization of the ribbon.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, I looked at that. But there is no way to transfer the customizations to another computer in a template-specific manner. It's nice for a stand-alone solution. I may still resort to that if I have no choice, and then everyone using my templates can customize for themselves, but it's not an ideal solution.

Thanks anyway though.

Thanks
    As you probably know, the new Word file formats are actually ZIP archives. If you extract a .dotm template to a set of nested folders, you should find an XML file that allows you to add items to the ribbon. I can't recall where I've seen documentation of that. But the point is, when zipped back up, that code becomes part of the template and doesn't require any add-ons.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Add-ins can be found by:
    File|Options|Add-ins

My version of 2010 enables me to create new tabs, menu's etc. File|Options|Customise Ribbon
    Some one missing something?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RCL View Post

My version of 2010 enables me to create new tabs, menu's etc. File|Options|Customise Ribbon
    Some one missing something?
    Word 2007 does not have this built in.

Earlier versions of Word literally let you change change the entire UI with each template, so you could have different commands and menus displayed in the program depending on what you were trying to accomplish. Word 2010 does allow Ribbon customization, but those customizations seem to be application-wide.

I miss that flexibility; so does the original poster. MS made a decision to take this away; most people didn't use it, others did but confused coworkers or support staff. I liked being able to put custom menus in templates for use only in docs based on those templates.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can customize the QAT for particular documents or templates. In the customize the QAT window, on the top of the right panel, you should see "Customize Quick Access Toobar". Below that is a dropdown menu with only two items: "For all documents (default)" and the name of the document or template you are in. When you make the second choice, the customizations and keyboard shortcuts you make will be stored there. Each document's (or template's) QAT items are presented in a group. The groups are in alphabetical order of the file names (took me a long time to figure out that one).

HTH,
    Pam
    Last edited by PamCaswell; 2011-09-04 at 18:29.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Pam, I hope you are right. I've asked for Word 2010 on my computer and should get it in the next few days. In the meanwhile, I'm working backwards, porting the template to Word 2003, doing my menus and drop-downs and all that my users need, and then porting back to 2007 for fine-tuning.

We are not talking about an enterprise wide depoloyment; rather, a highly specific template for a very particular type of document, with macros, shortcuts, and autotext (very specific) that users need to access quickly, so that the document can be deployed in a publication ASAP. For use by THREE (3) users! <grin>

Thanks all for your input. I hope 2010 lives up to its promises.

Dvora

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Kyle, so if I understand correctly, Microsoft did away with a feature professional developers loved, because non-professionals messed up?

Maybe they should have gone for the stupid warnings we see on other products, you know, like the sign over a pot of hot coffee: "Warning: Hot fluid, will burn you if spilled."

Every time a user wanted to make a custom template, there would be a message that appears: "Warning: If you don't know what you are doing in making a template you will make life miserable for yourself and others using this template. Click to hide this message in the future, even if you make terrible templates that are useless to everyone."

<sigh> <grin>
    Am developing my template in 2003 and porting over to 2007. Waiting for my 2010 update.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can customise Ribbons for templates without tools but it is pretty painful to have to learn the interface oddities.
    The free tool I now use to edit the XML required is called Brazucanet Office Ribbon Editor http://brazucanet.leafcreations.net

Another tool that might be worth investing in is IDBE RibbonCreator http://www.accessribbon.de/en/

Waiting for 2010 is going to leave you less than impressed - Ribbon customisation is possible just with Word 2010 but it is massively flawed.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

Charles Kenyon (2011-09-01)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Another tool that makes it fairly easy to customize the Ribbon for individual templates is Andy Pope's RibbonX Visual Designer. It was designed for Excel/Word/PowerPoint 2007 but works fine with Office 2010 as well.

Andrew: Thanks for the link to the IDBE RibbonCreator - gotta check that one out, too. It looks like the version for 2010 can be found here.

Gary

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Frieder For This Useful Post:

Charles Kenyon (2011-09-01)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    My suggestion about customizing QAT for specific documents and templates works in W2007 & W2010. Trying out the QAT while you are waiting for the upgrade could help you decide what to put on the QAT and what on a custom tab.

Pam
    Last edited by PamCaswell; 2011-09-04 at 11:21.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PamCaswell For This Useful Post:

Charles Kenyon (2011-09-01),jweissmn1 (2011-09-09)

Thanks
    Thank you Pam, Gary and Andrew for bringing me up-to-date. I agree that Word 2010's ribbon customization is less than ideal.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast