4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2003 compatibilitiy pack: "There was an error opening the file."

That's what I get any time I try to open a docx file.

After reviewing some threads in this forum, I uninstalled the compatibility pack, installed service pack 3 (successfully), downloaded a fresh copy of the compatibility pack, and reinstalled it (also successfully). Result: exactly the same error.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I never found an answer to my question, but I found a solution in another forum.

Docx2Rtf is a free utility that converts a Word 2007 file to RTF. You can then read the file with Word 2003 and store as a DOC file.

This is not the most convenient solution, but it beats telling clients that I can't read their files because I don't have a current version of Word.

Thanks
    By the way, if a Word 2007 or 2010 user saves a binary DOC file with a DOCX extension, or vice versa, the convert may not recognize it. Might not be relevant in your situation, but it's sometimes useful to view a DOCX in a zip program (or if necessary a hex editor) to see what it really is.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What seems to have worked for me is re-running the Office 2003 Setup from the Disk or folder where it was stored. This did work - but doing "repair" from the "Installed programs" control panel did *not* work - neither did "repairing" the compatibility pack.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jsachs177 View Post
    I never found an answer to my question, but I found a solution in another forum.

Docx2Rtf is a free utility that converts a Word 2007 file to RTF. You can then read the file with Word 2003 and store as a DOC file.

This is not the most convenient solution, but it beats telling clients that I can't read their files because I don't have a current version of Word.
    Libre Office will preserve more of the original format of docx format than a simple rtf and Microsoft Word 2010 Starter is free for Win 7 (Vista?) and up and opens docx natively of course.