Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Office & Windows 7

I have Windows 7 Pro installed on a SSD, and have two other 1TB drives - is it possible to install Office 2010 on one of the 1TB disk drives to leave the SSD with more free space ?

I curently have Office 2007 installed on the SSD along with the OS.

Thanks
    What is the size of the SSD drive? I found that Win 7 Ultimate with Office 2010 Pro and many other apps only takes about 30 Gb on my PC. I do have all data that windows allows to easily be moved on a separate partition, but the OS and all apps are on the C Drive.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could probably do it but Office is so big and integrates into so many parts of Windows...it would be among the last programs that I would install on another drive from the OS. Coincidentally, my W7 VMs with a bunch of large video rendering programs installed and many other apps, run right around 30 GB, but I'm not giving any room for shadow copies or restore points or much for the recycle bin, so there's still room to manuever on a 55 gig SSD and maintain a stable "store" size inside the VM allotment I've given it (50Gigs).

Lounger
    Thanks
    The SSD has 83.7GB of usable space with between 18&19 GB free depending on what is in email, temp folder etc. It has the Virtual PC/XP mode installed too, and a few other things, plus still has the folders for admin, public, default on it including my documents etc.

I'm not sure if all those user folders like My Documents etc are OK to move to another drive, or indeed what else, but seeing I'm upgrading from Office 2007 to 2010, wondered if it were possible, or even sensible to install it on another drive.

Seems a shame to have all that space free on the disks when I'd rather have as little as possible on the SSD.

Programmes such as image editing etc are on one of the other drives.

Thanks
    Most, if not all the data folders can safely be moved using this method. This screen shot shows the folders I easily moved with this method:

DDrive.jpg

I suspect when all your data is moved to a separate data drive you will see considerable more space available on your C Drive.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-08-31 at 21:16.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Pictor (2011-09-01)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted,
    So perhaps best to leave Office with the OS and move as much other stuff as possible.
    I had thought that such things could be cut/pasted or dragged & dropped, but the method in the link is more complex it seems.

I'll re-read that before moving anything.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Cut and paste breaks the pointers to your data in the Libraries and in many apps (live mail for example). Moving using the approved method changes the pointers so Windows can find the new locations. It is really easier than it looks, esp after trying a couple. I have pertitioned my HD (laptop with a 320 Gb HD) into 2 partitions. 75 Gb C Drive and the remainder on the D Drive. With ALL apps and the OS on the C Drive you can see how much free space I have:

FreeSpace.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Pictor (2011-09-02)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the explanation. I certainly didn't know that.
    I just read the link instructions again and it's clearer.

I'm yet to install a back up programme on this computer, so something else I need to get to before I move things.

Thanks Ted.

Thanks

Programs on the system drive

For many years now the first thing I do with a new PC (either one I've built or an OEM) is to move everything off the system drive except the OS itself. Everything. (XP had plenty of elbow room in 10 GB. Windows 7 will work in 20 GB, but the way it likes to grow (WinSxS) it's more comfortable in 30 GB).

In all those years I have not come across one single program or app that is not perfectly content to reside on a drive or partition completely separated from the OS. This includes Office, all the way from '97 to 2010.

See my website for more details.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    have not come across one single program or app that is not perfectly content to reside on a drive or partition completely separated from the OS
    True, but the times they is a changin'. If its a choice between 275 to 520 MB/s read rates and 75 or a 100, and random access, you want to utilize that speed for as many of your resource intensive programs/suites as possible.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinicore View Post
    True, but the times they is a changin'. If its a choice between 275 to 520 MB/s read rates and 75 or a 100, and random access, you want to utilize that speed for as many of your resource intensive programs/suites as possible.
    When I want to open an Excel spreadsheet, I click Start, run the mouse pointer to Recent Items, select the spreadsheet I want to update from the dropdown menu, click the filename, and the spreadsheet is open in a blink. I don't have to wait.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    If you pin Excel (or Word or Powerpoint) to the Windows 7 taskbar, right click on the pinned icon to get a list of recent items specific to that program and left click one to open. If you pin IE, you get a list of the most frequently referenced web sites.
    Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    If you pin Excel (or Word or Powerpoint) to the Windows 7 taskbar, right click on the pinned icon to get a list of recent items specific to that program and left click one to open. If you pin IE, you get a list of the most frequently referenced web sites.
    Jerry
    Regardless of how one might get there (and we all have our favorite ways), the point is that I don't have to wait for it to open; just click, and it's waiting for input.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Agreed. There's no noticeable time difference between your method and mine. Just wanted to point out an alternative.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try running a remote from a VM and you'll know what I mean, no onesie twosies, real heavy lifting. That translates down. I thought it would only make a big difference in load times, but I was wrong, it makes a huge difference in executing operations....get hooked on the expensive little things in no time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast