5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Multifunction printers' hidden element of risk

IN THE WILD

Multifunction printers' hidden element of risk

By Robert Vamosi

At this year's Black Hat and DEF CON security conferences, talks focused on attacks against the embedded operating systems found in thousands of digital gadgets now in use.

Any Internet-addressable device is threatened, including smart meters, medical monitors, and similar dedicated-use equipment. But the threat also encompasses those multifunction, printer/scanner devices (MFPs) found on almost every network.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/in-the-wild/multifunction-printers-hidden-element-of-risk/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2011-08-31 at 19:04.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well. I added a password because it seemed like a good thing to do. My HP M1536dnf printer accepted the password generated by my copy of Keepass but, when I attempt to login to the printer it will not honor the password. It is now so secure that I cannot login to my own printer. Anyone else experience the same problem, and if so have you discovered a solution? There probably is a device reset function somewhere, but I've not discovered that either.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Preachergeek: Many years ago I had to call HP Tech Support ( English Speaking then ) and they quoted a Semi-Full Reset for me. The procedure was:

1. Turn off power
    2. Power on - Remove Plug ( don't ask me why )
    3. Wait 20 seconds to 30 seconds
    4. Press and HOLD the # Key PLUS the 6 Key while plugging in power again - Screen should say semi-full reset.
    5. Reprogram your personal settings.

Hopefully this might reset your HP and clean out the password.

Ole Sarge
    Live Free or Die

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sarge. Unfortunately that didn't work. I appreciate the quick response.
    Quote Originally Posted by sarge66 View Post
    Preachergeek: Many years ago I had to call HP Tech Support ( English Speaking then ) and they quoted a Semi-Full Reset for me. The procedure was:

1. Turn off power
    2. Power on - Remove Plug ( don't ask me why )
    3. Wait 20 seconds to 30 seconds
    4. Press and HOLD the # Key PLUS the 6 Key while plugging in power again - Screen should say semi-full reset.
    5. Reprogram your personal settings.

Hopefully this might reset your HP and clean out the password.

Ole Sarge