3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

VBE Windowing Behavior (Excel 2000, SR1)

Hi Folks,

The VBE for Office 2000 has a "convenience" that is very annoying for me, which is: any time I open the VBE from a fresh Excel session, the Windows menu is populated with three windows, one from PERSONAL.XLS and two others from a custom Add-In I created.

Since I am almost never interested in editing either of these, I would rather VBE begin with an empty MDI and with everything in the Project Explorer collapsed except the VBAProject for the active workbook. At which point, I would proceed to add modules or UserForms or whatever. Instead, I have to close a bunch of windows I never ever care anything about.

Is there any way to change this behavior? I searched the registry to try to find a history for the Windows menu item (so maybe I could clear the history), but to no avail. I also searched the hard drive for any files that might store the VBE settings from session-to-session, to no avail.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VBE Windowing Behavior (Excel 2000, SR1)

Jim,

have you tried just closing all thos windows and closing the VBE, as that should then be the default on starting any future sessions.

I'm not sure if <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=vb&Number=19683&Search= true&Forum=vb&Words=&Match=StarPost&Searchpage=0&L imit=25&Old=allposts&Main=19547>This Post</A> from Legare on Docking windows is of any help, but worth looking at anyway.

Andrew C

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Andrew,

That is tried by default, since the first thing I do every time I use the VBE is close those windows; I do not re-open them before closnig the VBE. Despite this, the windows always open upon opening VBE.

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Jim,

I had much the same problem with Word 97 - at that time I was using Normal.dot as a kind of code scratchpad so had a lot of modules in there.
    Every time I launched Word and went to the VBE, all of the code windows were open. The cause for this was never tracked down; about the best I could do was write a macro that closed all the windows.
    The problem went away when I moved to Word 2000.

One thing I didn't try at the time, perhaps might be worth trying, would be to delete the Registry key for the VBE(?)

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah... similar thoughts, none of which are very savory, went through my head. Early on, I tried identifying any useful information in the registry, but wasn't successful - any idea what the right items might be?

Thanks.

Thanks

Maybe the state of VBE windows is saved in Normal.dot/Personal.xls itself? If you dirty a module, close all the windows, and save from inside the VBE, then shut down Word/Excel and restart and check... does that help?