Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Sure you had an infection?

It doesn't sound as if you actually had an infection. It sounds like you had a registry error with the installed executable for MBAM.exe.

In the future, you might want to try running SuperAntiSpyware Portable (or even just the regular SuperAntiSpyware, preferably from Safe Mode with network support) if you can't get MBAM to launch as it should. And once you've completed a scan with SAS, try MBAM again. And if MBAM still doesn't work, uninstall it, grab JV PowerTools Lite 2011 and scan the registry with first the default safe settings, and if that doesn't fix the issue, again with the registry scanner in the second most aggressive setting.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Use a memorory stick

When my Son managed to infect his PC. I had similar troubles in getting Malwarebytes to run. However I downloaded the software on to my PC and copied it to a memory stick. Plugged it into his PC and ran the software fcrom there. His setting was administrator and the PC has XP with sp3. Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks

RKill

I've encountered this problem a number of times in the past. Normally, running rkill.exe (downloadable from BleepingComputer http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...ti-virus/rkill) kills off the process(es) that are preventing MBAM from running and allows you to perform a scan.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sybex View Post
    A simple way around the problem is to rename MBAM.EXE the main executable for malwarebytes to another name, i always rename it as mouse.exe this name is very rarely blocked by virus as it could be the true mouse program for your computer.

rgds
    Syb

If you go to the Malwarebytes Forum, "THIS IS THE ANSWER: Rename it & run it " Worked for me

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You may need to disable your antivirus protection before trying to install Malwarebytes. That's what I had to do when I used it. After you finish the scan, you then activate your antivirus program.
    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I'm running WinXP Pro and can't get Malwarebytes to run on my computer after installation. It seems to install ok but when I click the icon to run the program, nothing happens. I've installed and re installed, still no luck. Anyone have a suggestion as to what might be wrong?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Run Malwarebytes as soon as possible during boot...

Some viruses are very clever at spotting trapping and bypassing Malwarebytes.

I've had to use MBAM once and it really saved my bacon. And due to restrictions by my IT dept I couldn't use safe mode. I managed it only by clicking its icon as soon as it appeared during the boot before the virus/trojan had a chance to bypass it. I think I remember having to reboot a couple of times before I got my clicks in ahead of the virus activity.

I now keep a copy of MBAM on a memory stick just in case. Along with a copy of RKILL which helps a bit.

Good luck.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Do not know if you tried, but your Firewall (or any other malware program) could be blocking the Malwarebytes running. You can do, as suggested, run in safe mode or (do not suggest) temporarily turn off firewall just to see if it will run. And for sure make sure you downloaded from a legitimate site!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sybex View Post
    A simple way around the problem is to rename MBAM.EXE the main executable for malwarebytes to another name, i always rename it as mouse.exe this name is very rarely blocked by virus as it could be the true mouse program for your computer.

rgds
    Syb
    Another slight enhancement to this approach: It may be better to make a copy of the MBAM.EXE file and rename that so that you still have MBAM.EXE in the same folder too. Malwarebytes can get you to restart the computer to complete the cleanup process, and when it does, it will be looking for MBAM.EXE not MOUSE.EXE.

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks

Red face

All good tips above; here's another couple:

On a clean machine, download Process Explorer. Rename the procexp.exe program file to iexplore.exe. Some malware will stop *every* .exe program; but they will never stop iexplore.exe, as the malware needs Internet Explorer to do its crimes. Take the renamed Process Explorer to the infected machine, and run it. From there, you should be able to kill the malware processes, after which you can run MalwareBytes or any other malware fighting tool (I might recommend ComboFix).

Some malware will corrupt the registry so that anytime you run a .exe it will run another instance of the malware. Fixing this is tricky. First, start a command prompt using command.com (not cmd -- which is an exe and will launch the malware). Change to the c:\windows folder, and copy regedit.exe to regedit.com. Run regedit.com and go to the key hkey_classes_root/.exe and look at the values for evidence of malware. You should compare this key to a known good machine for reference. After fixing this up, your machine should be able to run programs without continually reinfecting itself.

Of course, reformatting and reinstalling Windows might be the easiest option at this point...

Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem you were having is the new malware that is coming out comes with a trojan that blocks many of the common tools we use to remove bugs including MBAM, SAS and many of the antivirus. There is a tool out there called RKILL that will stop the trojan so you can run your tools. Here is a link to the bleeping computer site that tells about what RKILL does.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html
    RKILL is free and safe. It will not harm your computer.

peace

Lounger
    Thanks
    Another thing, you run rkill then you run MBAM or SAS or your antivirus. IF you have a problem running this in normal mode, you reboot and it will run in safe mode too

peace

Lounger
    Thanks

Contact MBAM

I'm running WinXP Pro and can't get Malwarebytes to run on my computer after installation. It seems to install ok but when I click the icon to run the program, nothing happens. I've installed and re installed, still no luck. Anyone have a suggestion as to what might be wrong?
    I was having this problem. I contacted MBAM support about the issue, and they provided me a link to download. I now have the corporate version and it works fine. MBAM support is awesome. Surprised you didn't try there first.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For all of you who have replied and indicated an interest in my problem, how about this; after wiping my hard drive 6 times with Wipe Drive Pro, and formating AND a clean install, It still won't run after installed. I GIVE UP!

Lounger
    Thanks
    For all of you who have replied and indicated an interest in my problem, how about this; after wiping my hard drive 6 times with Wipe Drive Pro, and formating AND a clean install, It still won't run after installed. I GIVE UP!
    Did you contact MBAM support as I suggested? They fixed it for me. I did not have to do a wipe. I just uninstalled and then downloaded from a link they gave me.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/support/consumer

or you can get fast support thru their Facebook page or Twitter @Malwarebytes

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miztrniceguy View Post
    Did you contact MBAM support as I suggested? They fixed it for me. I did not have to do a wipe. I just uninstalled and then downloaded from a link they gave me.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/support/consumer

or you can get fast support thru their Facebook page or Twitter @Malwarebytes
    Yes I contacted their tech support and had a merry go round with try this, ooops, then try this. Then when something appeared to work they wanted logs of everything on my computer. SORRY, that ain't gonna happen. I have sensitive customer documents that I am intrusted with and I'm not about to jeopardize that for a stupid program which I am more and more believing, I DON"T NEED. Thanks for your concern and suggestion, but at this point, like I said, it ain't worth the aggravation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast