New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Express 6.0 Losing Contacts/error msgs. opening and sending emails

During the last six weeks or so, whenever I install "updates" for my computer (Windows XP), my Outlook Express loses all my contacts, as well as becomes inoperable for opening and sending emails. I get the following messages. "The Address Book failed to load. Outlook Express is incorrectly configured. Please reinstall." Also, "There was an error opening this message. An error has occurred."

I have to keep going back to a System Restore point in order to get my contacts and Outlook Express working properly again, thus I really have no recent updates. I have run a full scan of my computer for malware, viruses, and no infections found. I have experimented staying off the internet before I shut down and run "updates" and still, when I reboot, the same problem occurs with Outlook Express after the updates have been installed.

Installing updates has never been a problem prior to six or so weeks ago. Help, please--does anyone have an answer to solve this problem? Thank you!

Thanks
    The next time Outlook Express fails, you can try the steps outlined in the Outlook Express repair kit.

Another option would be to migrate to Windows Live Mail , Microsoft's replacement for Outlook Express. If you are running XP, get Windows Live mail here. See this site for information on migrating your Outlook Express data to Live Mail. The User Interface is radically different fro Outlook Express and you may not like it but it is the interface Microsoft is using for all its new products.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Jerry. I will check out the links you provided.

Thanks
    Since you've already established that windows updates are killing you, why don't you just shut them off?
    People all over the world, are doing the same thing, because of the destructiveness of windows XP updates.

If you're like most people, your address book is pretty important to you, so back it up often.
    I back mine up to My Documents and then backup that whole folder to my second HD.

It would appear to the casual user, that MS really doesn't want us using XP anymore. Eh?

Good Luck to you.

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for replying to my post. Indeed, I was tempted to shut off the updates to Windows XP, but during all my research in trying to solve the problem, I found that the problem was with sharing data with Outlook 2000 and Outlook 2003, so once I turned off the sharing data option and instead loaded my contacts in Outlook Express' ".wab" file, which I backed up in a ".csv" file, and then took the Windows XP updates, doing so solved the Outlook Express problem.

But I think you're right--it would appear that MS really doesn't want us using XP anymore and wants us all to migrate to Windows Live Mail instead of Outlook Express.

Thanks again for your advice.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for this information. I had not heard of "Kernel for outlook express software." It's good to know about this free software for future.

NOTE: This post is a response to a post in this thread by a confirmed advertising spammer. The post was removed and the poster was permanently banned from the Lounge.

Exercise caution in looking up the advertised software, as the web site might be compromised.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-12-02 at 18:47. Reason: Warning pertaining to spammer advertised web site