2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Do I need these updates?

I use Office 2003 but don't have Outlook installed so do I need to install updates for Outlook?
    What is Visual Studio 2005 and do I need to install updates for it?
    Same question for Visual Studio 2010.
    I do not have Office 2007 installed so why do I get updates for it and if I installed them what would they do? Is there something that needs to be deleted from my system so I don't get updates for Office 2007?
    What are the updates for .NET framework for? Do I need to install them?
    Is it ok to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1?

See attachment that shows the updates I am talking about.

When the updates are downloaded, where are they stored? I am curious as to how much space is being used on my harddrive for them.

Thanks and hope I will get some answers.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you really don't have Outlook, you have no need to install the updates.
    The Visual Studio updates are for a libraries that other apps use, so you'd better install those.
    You should install the updates to the .net framework, since you have it. The .net frameword 3.5 is native to Windows 7 and .net 4 seems to have been installed, maybe because you have apps that use it.

Windows 7 SP1 can be installed. I would install it separately from the others and would backup (image if possible) before installing it.

Do you have anything in your Control Panel -> Programs and Features, related to Office 2007?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

xyiegphriedt (2011-09-02)

Thanks
    I would add one other comment on SP1, with large updates such as this I prefer to download the file and save it in my downloads folder (download the X86 for 32 Bit installations or X64 for the 64 Bit installations). Then I can disconnect from the internet and shut down my security apps as is strongly suggested by MS. Also if something does go wrong and i have to restore the Image Rui mentioned (if he did not I would have), I will already have the file ready to install again. The download takes a while.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Cool

Like Ted Said...... save your SP updates to your computer (desktop) and then put them on CD or DVD for future reference.
    If you have to re-install Windows, you don't want to have to download the Service Pack AGAIN.
    That's a real PITA.

I have every SP for XP on DVD's, just in case I or one of my customers ever need them.
    Likewise all the Dot Net Framework updates. That's one thing from MS that's worth keeping up with.
    You never know, when the very next program you install, will require the latest .net version.

Cheers mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post: