2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word Use Fills c drive (Word 97 on Windows 98)

Running Word on Win98 and after using the program for 10 minutes I receive a message that the disk is full. Word seems to be saving information as I use it but autosave is deselected. If I close Word and reopen it the disk has plenty of room. Only happens with Word, not Excel or PowerPoint. If a save and close before 10 minutes I don't get the message. More than 10 minutes tends to create the error message. The system has two hard drive with applications on the C drive and data stored on the other drive. Space is not a factor until I open and use Word

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Word Use Fills c drive (Word 97 on Windows 98)

You stated "Space is not a factor until I open and use Word ", how much empty space on how large of a drive (partition) do you have ?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The c drive is 3.2 gb and has 1.6 gb available space before I start using Word or other apps.

Thanks

That message sometimes occurs when you try to save a document that contains a corrupted equation object. It may well signify other unusual conditions, but it seems certain that the problem isn't a full disk!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Another cause for this error message can be having an excessively large number of styles in a document, according to MS KB article 168805.
    <hr>CAUSE
    When you add a large number of styles to a document (or to several documents), the Word temporary scratch file, ~Wrs0001.tmp may become extremely large. Closing the original document has no effect on the scratch file.

These error messages may occur if the ~Wrs0001.tmp file becomes too large, causing your computer to run out of disk space.
    <hr>
    The article doesn't specify how many styles is too many, and the suggested solution is to quit and restart Word!

First thing I do when Word starts displaying unspecified flakiness is to rename Normal.dot ("Replace your Normal.dot and call me in the morning...") - might be worth trying.

Gary

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Below and attached are messages I got yesterday on the computer.

1st message - Window pops up and states: Word has insufficient memory. Do you want to save Doc.1 as Rescued Doc? (the option is yes or no. Clicked yes. Immediately the following message popped up.

2nd message - This was a white window: WinWord
    % caused a stack fault in module %2 at %3!.04x!:%4!.08x!

Close was the only option, so I did.

3rd message - a runtime error
    Program C: programsfilesAT&Twnclientprogramswnconnect.exe
    abnormal program termination

Do any of these make sense? Carol

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Carol,

First thing to do is to check whether there is code in any add-in or global templates running, which may be causing the problem.

Some detailed instructions for doing this can be found in <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/ProbsOpeningWord.htm>this article </A> from the MS MVP Word website.

Also have a look at this MS KB article which describes a problem which can be caused by an AT&T program interacting with Word.

Hope this helps,
    Gary