New Lounger
    Thanks

When should I upgrade from SBS 2003?

We're considering our options for an upgrade of server software. We're using SBS 2003 now and want to figure out if its the right time for SBS 2011 or if we should wait a bit for the next version to appear. Is SBS 2011 a major release or basically just a service pack for 2008 R2? What kind of timeline would we expect the next release to be available?

Thanks!

Thanks
    SBS <anything> is considerably more than just server software! It includes Exchange, Sharepoint, SQL Server, and some other stuff I have ignored. So calling it "just a service pack for WS2008R2" is way short of the mark.

"The right time" for installing SBS2011 depends on whether you see a major benefit in upgrading from SBS2003 - the usual cost-benefit analysis.

As to "when the next release will be available", you would have to read the online speculations, but I would guess probably at least two or three years.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would not upgrade it until you are replacing the hardware. This gives you time to get the new installation right before migrating - a fallback position.

cheers, Paul