Thread: Windows Live

Thanks

Unhappy Windows Live

Is it possible to uninstall all of this or is something else dependent upon it?

Barbara

Thanks
    You can uninstall any part or all of Windows Live Essentials if this is what you are asking. I might consider using Revo Uninstaller rather than Windows own uninstaller because it tends to find left over stuff that would otherwise be left behind.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I know the "essentials" can be uninstalled, but I was wondering about the whole Windows Live environment.

I am still trying to find what is going on in my laptop that causes it to gobble up bandwidth if it is connected to the internet for more than a couple minutes. I am suspicious of Windows Live.

A couple days ago, I accidentally left it connected while doing something else, and in one hour it used 224 MB...... nothing downloaded, so I have to assume it was uploading something. We discussed this in a thread a few months back, and no one, including my local tech guy could figure out what it is. I have studied Task Manager in depth, tried to make sense out of Process Explorer and so on. But it makes this laptop worthless for the internet here at home where my daily usage is limited. I either have to get up at 5 AM to let MS updates download, or take it to town to my office. PITA!

So really my question is: could Windows Live be doing something??

And thanks Ted, I should have said that first!!

Barbara

Thanks
    Use this tool to monitor in/outgoing traffic, or a utility such as netLimiter.

Thanks
    Thanks Clint.... I downloaded TCPView v3.05 yesterday and haven't installed it on the problem computer yet. It looks 'friendlier' than process explorer..... which I simply don't understand because it jumps around so fast!

I have also just downloaded Net Limiter and will try it, although I have tried some usage monitors before and they don't seem to work with the satellite system interface. Gives all kinds of goofy readings. But I didn't try this one, so will do so.

Want to add that I have a desktop and another laptop which run on this connection and they are no problem.

WIll report back.

Barbara

Thanks
    For troubleshooting purposes you may want to set WU to "look only", disable remote assistance, and seriously curtail
    any "phone home" applications you have installed.
    An example of a "phone home" application would be anything that is self updating.
    A complete AV/AM scan independant of you current installed AV/AM software if you suspect infection of any kind.

Thanks
    Taking the previous from CLint into consideration...... absolutely sure no virii or malware; suspect something "phoning home". I will check on remote assistance.

Here is the latest in my pitiful attempt to interpret from Net Limiter {which is totally different than what I had before!! } I have homed in on a "svchost operation, Process 920 operating via port 80" if that means anything to you guys. I am seriously over my head here but if my past history is worth anything, by the time I finish I'll definitely know what I am doing and why.

The interesting thing to me is that running the Net limiter on my desktop shows very little activity, which I knew, and nothing in the process 920 area. I haven't tried it on husband's laptop yet, but I will.

I do appreciate any and all help here because I must find the answer!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.........

Barbara

Thanks
    Hi Barbara, try turning your router OFF before starting your Laptop, some progs tell you if theirs a fault in connecting.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    svchost

What is svchost.exe And Why Is It Running?

You could easily see half a dozen or more instances of svchost, zeroing in on it can be done in Process Explorer.
    Look for PID 920. You can also monitor for similar in TCPView for svchost under PID 920 with on 80.

As an example, I don't have a PID 920, but I do have a PID 900 and it correlates to the Remote Procedure Call service.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-09-03 at 11:07.

Thanks
    I had to drop the experimenting because we have been busy with the Texas wildfires. Car packed for evacuation on the 4th, but now that things are calmed down, I will get back to exploring Net Limiter results. I did turn off remote access, and that seemed to slow things down considerably.

Barbara

Thanks
    I have had the chance to further evaluate my laptop since I shut down remote access, and I do believe that has done it. My question now has to be what caused this? I have narrowed down the timeframe in which 'something' happened in that machine to create the problem. Will examine updates that were installed about then, new programs etc. Any suggestions of places to look?

I have been using Net Limiter and TCP/view and now I see in Fred Langa's column this AM, about netstat. Will look into that.

Barbara