4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Style updating (Word 2010)

We have recently upgraded to MSO 2010. In 2003 I had this code to get rid of any extraneous styles in documents created or obtained by staff.
    Sub StyleCopy()
    '
    '
    Dim i As Integer
    For i = ActiveDocument.Styles.Count To 1 Step -1
    If ActiveDocument.Styles(i).BuiltIn = False Then
    Debug.Print ActiveDocument.Styles(i)
    ActiveDocument.Styles(i).Delete
    End If
    Next i
    ActiveDocument.UpdateStyles
    With ActiveDocument
    .AttachedTemplate = "D:\Users\pgc\My Templates\Normal.dotm"
    .UpdateStylesOnOpen = True
    .UpdateStyles
    End With
    End Sub

But for some reason the macro fails at the code indicated.
    cheers

Phil Carter

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Phil,

A few questions/comments:

The path indicated for the location of the Normal.dotm template doesn't match what would be the default location for this template, in either Windows XP or in Windows Vista or 7.
    An error on that line of code is probably indicating that Normal.dotm does not exist at that location.

Is D: a networked drive (in which case every user is pointing to the same Normal.dotm - not good), or is D: a local drive for each user? If the latter, is that location/path set as the user templates location for each user in each user's Word setup?

Do you use Normal.dotm as the attached template for every document produced by staff, or do you base different documents on different templates? (because this code is attaching Normal.dotm to every document).

Also, although you're probably aware, if you delete styles from any existing document, any text that may have had that style applied, will revert to having Normal style applied, which means this code may alter the formatting of existing documents, in unintended ways.

Gary

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gary thanks for that

D: is a local drive that is set as the default location for the Word startup. Normal.dotm has been edited to reflect our corporate styles etc and is attahced to all docuemnts created within.

The purpose of deleteing and updating the styles is to ensure consistency. I would like to run this macro whenever any document id opened, but that may be going a bit too far!
    cheers

Phil Carter

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bonriki View Post
    But for some reason the macro fails at the code indicated.
    What error do you get?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jefferson hi

VBACapture.PNG
    cheers

Phil Carter

Thanks
    This is not the first time I've seen that mysterious error reported when setting the AttachedTemplate property (e.g., 2 problems : Macros (Word 2000/ Word 97)), but I can't think of any reason for Word 2003 and Word 2010 to behave differently. Perhaps if the goal is to refresh the styles, you can do that another way, such as using the Style organizer to import from that template. (Assuming this is still supported in 2010.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmm. Is the "pgc" part in the path to the templates actually the same for all users? Or does that reflect your initials or something and actually should be different for each user?

Just askin'

- Jessica

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jessica

Yes that is me. This macro is only used by me and is only loaded on my computer
    cheers

Phil Carter

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Phil
    Could it the problem be that the template is already loaded as an add-in? You mentioned that the folder path was your startup folder - I would have thought that the Normal template should sit in the user templates folder and NOT in the startup where it is already loaded.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia