Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Password manager recommendations?

I am looking for a password manager that stores the info as an encrypted database locally. I have been cosidering Kaspersky Password Manager.
    Suggestions? Thanks!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    KeePass
    PJ in FL

Thanks
    If you just want to keep the password information (plus any other text you want to associate with it) in a simple encrypted 'text' file, have a look at Steganos Locknote, free.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Last Pass has gotten a lot of favorable press. I have used it for several years and like it's UI. Very safe and reliable. This was discussed previously in the Win 7 forum.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Last Pass has gotten a lot of favorable press. I have used it for several years and like it's UI. Very safe and reliable. This was discussed previously in the Win 7 forum.
    I had definitely considered Last Pass, but despite their assurance that the database is highly encrypted and only accessible by a key kept by me, I still am uncomfortable about storing critical financial data "in the cloud".

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    PCUser,

Although it is a paid program I'm a big fan of RoboForm. I purchased 4 licenses for my machines and they gave me a very good price, aprox. $15 per. I use the version that stores information ONLY on my local machines. When I use SyncToy to sync my documents between my desktop & laptop the encrypted information is also synced. Note, you need to put an exception in SyncToy so it doesn't sync the license.rfo file. I've been using RoboForm for 5+ years and I think it's tops in functionality and ease of use. YMMV.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't pay a dime for password management. There are several free, excellent alternatives. I use Password Safe. Its OpenSource (free!), can be stored on a PC, or USB stick. It has a sync feature so you can keep a master copy on a PC and secondary copy on a USB drive and sync them as needed. I know Unix administrators that trust Password Safe, so I have confidence that its secure. KeyPass would be my second choice. Download both and try them. You lose nothing by doing so except for a bit of time.

http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

http://keepass.info/
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi pcuser!

I too do not love the idea of having my passwords only stored in the cloud, and prefer to have a local only option. SafeWallet allows you to have both options if you wish to do so.
    Also Doc brown is correct you can get it for free, I would advise in investing a little bit in a commercial password manager and I'll explain why:
    1) Easy of use - commercial ones tend to be easier to use
    2) Support - when you're having issues do you really want to spend 2 days reading forms on how to get your sync going??
    3) Extendability - commercial companies keep moving and always ensure to add more features and greater things, otherwise they die, so you get to enjoy that!
    4) Price - Password Managers are very cheap, ranging from 1$ a month, are you really saving anything here or creating more hence by not (see my previous answers).
    5) Support again. if you have problems or corrupt your database, with a pro company you can be certian you'll be supported and not LOSe all your passwords.

I know I'm biased but I'd recommend you look at our product - SafeWallet Password Manager. We offer password filling on all browser (currently Firefox and IE & Chrome soon coming), we offer all mobile platforms support (with Password filling on Andorid and iPhone soon out - matter of weeks) and loads of other functionality and features. We also are adding Password Management syncing through the cloud or locally if you wish to choose so. Or no syncing at all and you can always work when there is no internet connection! which is great.
    Have a look, we've been featured on the Google Android Staff picks not long ago.
    SafeWallet Password Manager Page

If you have any questions about it, or any issue feel free to contact me on dory at sbsh dot net or drop by our active forums!

The trial if free btw

Cheers
    Dory.
    Last edited by doryz; 2011-09-11 at 15:18.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another vote for SafeWallet here. Have been using it for the past two years or so - great security and much easier to use than most other alternatives out there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As Doc Brown said, don't pay for security.. Password managers are Open Source software at it's best.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm probably a bit "dim" on this, but if I use a password manager on my PC, how do I access password protected websites when I'm on the road using a public access PC? Are my encrypted passwords somewhere in the "cloud" to overcome this?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    That depends on which Password Manager you use. RoboForm, my favorite, has a portable version that works from a USB Thumb Drive. There is also a version that stores your passwords in the Cloud and there are other applications that do this as well. Some other popular options are LastPass and KeyPass.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Last Pass does require an add on to be installed on the PC you are using to access your password account. I have never tried to use it from a public PC so cannot comment on that aspect. I have however used it from other family member PC and it works very fine.

I stand corrected: According to this Last Pass info site Last Pass is accesible from a Flash Drive and from public PCes. I have never used either of these features so cannot comment on it's usage in this manner. You can compare the free versus paid editions here.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-11-04 at 07:52.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    That depends on which Password Manager you use. RoboForm, my favorite, has a portable version that works from a USB Thumb Drive. There is also a version that stores your passwords in the Cloud and there are other applications that do this as well. Some other popular options are LastPass and KeyPass.
    If you are the sole user, remember that one Thumb Drive works for all computers and one licence is your only expense.

Thanks
    Take a look at Steganos Password Manager
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast