2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My Documents Tree

I just realized that I have a mess in my My Documents and its very confusing. I thought I had the tree under control but at this point I'm afraid to do anything with it. It appears that the My Documents on the start menu is perhaps not the same My Documents under my username. I may end up losing files if I try to delete one or the other. This probably occurred, and I'm guessing, when I imported my backed up My Documents from my old XP OS.

--Hey, why doesn't the spellcheck do anything?--

So the My Documents from the Libraries has thousands of files in it including dlls, nxxx.xxx files, sound files, program files, etc. I don't know what happened, but I do want to clean it up. And at this point I'm not sure where I have been placing new files--which My Documents.

Thanks
    The Libraries do not actually contain any folders or files. The hold pointers to the actual folders and files. Anything you delete in the Libraries will actually gelete the data in the real folder so be careful.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

next

Okay, I understand, but part of my puzzle is that I am finding files in the Libraries/My Documents that seem to be outside of folders. For example, pictures, exe files, sound files, program files, etc., as if I had installed a program directly into the root.

There were some ini files too such as desktop ini, etc. I took out evertying and then I thought I put everything back after I found that it broke roboform. The only damage I have found so far is that when i go to Start/Public Documents, I see documents. Start/My Documents, It freezes and I have to use task manager. I did a registry clean, a disc repair, and an sfc. Still freezes the still freezes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    The Libraries do not actually contain any folders or files. The hold pointers to the actual folders and files. Anything you delete in the Libraries will actually gelete the data in the real folder so be careful.

Thanks
    In Windows 7 the old "C:\Documents and Settings \<username>" is now just a junction point, maintained for compatibility with XP. If you don't understand what a Junction Point is, I suggest you leave well alone!

You will find the real location of "My Documents", for example, under C:\Users\<username>.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am in the process of moving files back into folders. I'm wondering what to do with all the dll files in My Documents. Do I just leave them for now. I'm wondering if they were there all the time when I restored my XP My Documents to my Win 7 computer or if this if I actually caused an error that pulled them out of their original folders. Is it safe to dump them all into the windows system or system32 folder.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found that in explorer My Documents is shared with Nobdy even though I have gone into properties and arranged for sharing to be provided. Public Documents has no such lock.

Thanks
    Junction points and libraries are Microsoft's way of attempting to better organize the chronically disorganized imo.
    I have my own file system organization scheme that predates Windows 7 but I do find some interesting conveniences in them.

You can always turn off Libraries too if you don't like them, but you should make an attempt to organize your file system to
    ensure you never loose data, ...or rather, never loose track of your data.

Understanding your Junction Points in 7:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx
    http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...s7_appdata.htm

Messing with your Junction points in 7:
    http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896768 Junction v1.06 By Mark Russinovich