Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Can't uninstall old wireless mouse drivers

I just purchased a new Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse. When I try to install the new software I get the following error message.
    "Uninstall can not find the standard mouse driver "i802prt.sys" in windows system file direcotory so you can't uninstall this software."

When I reboot it tells me its found the new mouse and do I want to install the new software. I say yes, which leads me through the above error.

The mouse almost works, but some maps applications found in Windows won't allow zoom in or our using the Wheel.

Thanks
    Do you have the troubled program in your C>Programs>files?If so this FREE program could help;http://www.revouninstaller.com/
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Lounger
    Thanks

Can't Uninstall Old Wireless Mouse Drivers

I'm not sure where it resides.

I moved a lot of files from an old XP machines to my current Windows 7 machine. The original mouse and key board had come with the Dell XP machine.

I ran those on the new machine for a while before passing the old XP machine on to an occasional user in the household. When I did that, I got the new Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse, keeping the old gear with the old computer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WSG View Post
    When I reboot it tells me its found the new mouse and do I want to install the new software. I say yes, which leads me through the above error.
    Use RevoUninstaller (download from the link chowur provided) to uninstall the old wireless mouse drivers, then install the drivers from the installation disk that came with the mouse and keyboard.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2011-09-03 at 09:48.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks

Still no luck

Installed Revo Uninstall, ran it and got the same error message as referenced in my original post.

I'm told it can be uninstalled because it can't find that .sys file.

Thanks
    The driver software for your former mouse will be found in Program Files. It will probably be in a folder with the name of the manufacturer. You can use Revo in Hunter mode, navigate to the folder and locate the executable for the mouse (a file that ends in .exe) and click on that, and Revo will probably be able to uninstall the software.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks

Forced Uninstall - No Joy

Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    The driver software for your former mouse will be found in Program Files. It will probably be in a folder with the name of the manufacturer. You can use Revo in Hunter mode, navigate to the folder and locate the executable for the mouse (a file that ends in .exe) and click on that, and Revo will probably be able to uninstall the software.
    Found the Logitech folder and told Revo to do a Forced Uninstall. When it was through, I rebooted my computer with the new mouse installed.

Cutting to the chase, after the driver for the new mouse was downloaded I was told there was still a conflict and got this error message again.

"Uninstall can not find the standard mouse driver "i802prt.sys" in windows system file direcotory so you can't uninstall this software."

Thanks
    Try running sfc /scannow

Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks

sfc / scannow No Joy

Try running sfc /scannow
    Followed steps looked in logfile from Sacnnow, nothing seen, blank page.

Lounger
    Thanks

Correction to Missing File

I double checked the missing file name and found i had it wrong. The missing file is i8042prt.sys

Thanks
    If you still have the Logitech installation disk, you can try re-installing the Logitech software, and then see if it will uninstall cleanly.

Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks

Original Disk follow up

If you still have the Logitech installation disk, you can try re-installing the Logitech software, and then see if it will uninstall cleanly.
    I couldn't find the disk, it was part of the set up of the older computer. I did find the software on Logitech's website. Downloaded and installed, the tried to uninstall and still getting the same error message.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    See if the mouse is in Device Manager. If you can find it there, you can disable it or uninstall it from the advanced option.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ldb For This Useful Post:

WSG (2011-09-05)

Lounger
    Thanks

Getting Closer

Quote Originally Posted by ldb View Post
    See if the mouse is in Device Manager. If you can find it there, you can disable it or uninstall it from the advanced option.
    Almost there, I got the Device Manager to the point that it's displaying the new Wireless Mouse 5000, BUT, now when I reboot it tries to install the software for this mouse, goes through the same routine and generates the same error message. Then I get a notice that new device has been installed.

I don't have all the functionality of the new mouse, but can live with it if I didn't have to go through the software install every time I started up.

Thanks
    Have you tried any of the above in safe mode?

Sometimeswhen a program will not un-install in windows it will do so in safe mode.

Try booting into safe mode [re-boot PC and keep pressing the F8 key. When you are given the list of choices select safe mode].

Next try re-installing the drivers [& software if there is any] then re-boot back into safe mode.

Now try un-installing from there [in safe mode]
    Ernie
    ErnieK

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Erniek For This Useful Post:

WSG (2011-09-11)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast