Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

IE9 links display blank tab

Whenever a link inside an existing web page tries to open a new tab, IE9 opens a tab that is completely blank. However, links that call for a new page in the existing window work fine. All the latest Windows patches have been installed. I have tried to remove and reinstall IE9 but the installation program refuses to run, saying that a newer version of IE9 is already installed, even after I've removed it in Control Panel. I have no problems with this on the same computer when running Firefox. Any suggestions?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    See if this helps my settings are;9-2-2011 10-16-04 PM.png
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chowur For This Useful Post:

BobSB (2011-09-03)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    These settings look like they should work but I tried them and it didn't help. I noticed that the URL of the originating window shows in the new tab (not the URL it is supposed to go to) but, even then, the display is still blank (even after a refresh). However, if a URL is manually entered into the new tab, it displays properly.

mart44
    I'm not sure how the installing/uninstalling steps have left the system. Are you on IE8 or IE9 now? I know that upgrading to IE9 can give rise to problems. These can sometimes be cured by resetting IE9. I had pages/tabs that wouldn't load and resetting is what cured it for me (Internet Options > Advanced > Reset button). Also, I know that IE of any version can give various problems if the cache is too full. Try deleting the Temporary Internet Files if not already done.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mart44 For This Useful Post:

BobSB (2011-09-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using IE9 and resetting/deleting temporary files didn't help. But thanks for the suggestion.

Lounger
    Thanks

IE9 Internal Links Will Not Open

Running Win 7 Pro, 64bit with Internet Explorer 9 (both 32 & 64bit), Chrome, & FireFox installed. I've had the same problem with IE described in this thread for a long time. Finally I changed to FF for 100% of my work and it is smooth, quick, and dependable. However, I'm an IE fan from day 1 and still want to return to it. My problem is much the same as described by others, e.g., if I am in Lounge & click on a link someone provides, IE goes to a new tab/window & grinds away forever attempting to load the page (never successful)--only a blank tab and blank window. However, I can copy that link, paste it into the blank window & it opens normally (Chrome, & FireFox will open the same link successfully with 1 click every time). I've searched the Internet & experimented extensively--cleaned cookies, turned them back on, run IE without add-ons, adjusted Internet Options (Advanced), and tried advice from others, no luck. Before upgrading to IE9, IE8 behaved the same way. Further, the same problem exists in the 32 & 64bit versions. Seems that this bug exists for numerous people, but there is no solution. If anyone can provide help with this monumental problem, I'm sure many of us will be extremely grateful.
    Last edited by JoeP517; 2012-01-05 at 20:00. Reason: remove email address

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem! I finally gave up on IE and have been using Firefox with no problems (I'm not sure if I'd ever want to go back to IE now). But there are some websites that require IE and, for those, I have to use a different computer. My wife has a computer that is absolutely identical to mine, with all the same software installed, that runs IE perfectly. Very weird! I could probably strip my computer and reinstall everything from scratch and it would work OK, but that is a little more that I want to do, especially since I now prefer Firefox.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey, thanks BobSB, for your comments and support. Maybe if enough people respond, someone will do something about this problem. Yes, I'm going back to FF also but, as you say, sometimes we're forced to use IE.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Running the scripts linked from the first answer in this thread seems to have worked for quite a few people with the same problem:

IE9 open in new window/tab does not load (Microsoft TechNet)

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update June, 2012: I finally decided to update my computer to Windows 7 64-bit. In doing so, I reloaded everything from scratch. IE works just fine, now, but I still prefer Firefox.

Thanks
    Glad the reinstall worked. If I might suggest, this would be a great time to create an image of the system. This way a restoration will take about 10 minutes. I recreate Images at least once per month. When changes are made to my system, I recreate another Image. This way when I have to restore an Image, that image is relatively new.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-06-22 at 15:40.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, that is good advice. I've been doing it for years. The backup routine in Windows 7 is fantastic. I had no idea when the previous IE problem appeared and didn't want to mess up my then-current installation, since everything else was working fine.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also have this problem since installing IE9 and it is sometimes described as "HTTP error code 301"
    Is there a work round or fix?
    The Settings page shown in a post by 'chowur' doesn't come up for me, how can I display it please?
    Noel L

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi there;
    I read your advice to the subscriber and wondered if that might help me as well. I am having problems with programs opening in their own installer, everything is opening in the Default; The download manager pops up when I click to open a program. I am using Win. 7 Home premium 32. I hope you can help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzy2 View Post
    Hi there;
    I read your advice to the subscriber and wondered if that might help me as well. I am having problems with programs opening in their own installer, everything is opening in the Default; The download manager pops up when I click to open a program. I am using Win. 7 Home premium 32. I hope you can help.
    Is this after downloading a program with Internet Explorer 9?

Are you clicking to install a program or to run a program?

Does "download manager" mean IE9's View downloads?

Bruce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast