New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2003 macros (and other things) stopped working

Hello All,

I have an interesting issue which I first noticed about two months ago and have not been able to solve. I'm hoping someone in the Lounge might have an answer for it. First of all, I'm running MS Office Professional 2003 on a custom-built tower and an old Dell Latitude laptop, both running WinXP SP3. Both machines are demonstrating the same problems in the Office applications. For no apparent reason, all the macros I have created in my Office documents, just stopped working. I first saw it in various Word documents I was creating, but have also realized that the same problem is showing up in my Excel spreadsheets, as well.

For example, I have one particular macro that I have recorded in both the Word Normal.dot and the Excel Personal.xls which allows me to paste something into a document or cell(s) without any formatting (adapting to the formatting in the paragraph or cells of the receiving document) with the push of a button on the toolbar. That macro is not working any longer, and when it's used, pastes the data with its original formatting intact, which means I have to use the multiple-click/keypress process of Paste Special every time to paste something without the formatting - irritating, to say the least. I also recently noticed that changes I was making to the Normal.dot template, were not taking effect, and that new documents were being created with the original template that is created when you first install Word.

Neither Normal.dot or Personal.xls were modified or moved prior to the problems showing up. And, since everything was working fine, up to that point, and it affected both installations (machines) at about the same time, it makes me wonder if there was a Microsoft software update that could have caused this. Is anyone aware of a Windows XP or Office update that could produce these problems? Or, has anyone experienced this issue before and have a solution for it?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Jamie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Jamie,

Have you checked your Macro Security Setting? If this somehow got set to High it would disable all of your macros. I know this is a stretch that it would happen on 2 products and 2 machines at the same time, but it is the only thing I can think of for now.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek,

Thank you, but yes. That was actually one of the first things I checked - they hadn't changed. I set them to "Low", just to see if that had something to do with it. Sadly, that didn't fix anything. I've even completely uninstalled then re-installed Office on one of the machines a couple of weeks ago, re-creating the macros from scratch - same problem.

I'm considering wiping the laptop and reinstalling Windows, without the latest updates of the past few months. Maybe I can figure out what did the damage from there. I was hoping that someone else had already found the culprit, so that I could just roll back that particular update, but, if not, I'll have to do the troubleshooting, myself.

Again, thanks for the idea,

Jamie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Jamie,

Give this a read.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek,

Thanks again, but that wasn't the issue, either. I removed the Microsoft Office File Validation Add-In from one of machines, rebooted, and tried modifying Normal.dot and running a macro (including re-recording it). No joy! The problems are still there. At least it was something I hadn't already seen. Susan Bradley's info is something I usually follow, but, this one was something I'd missed.

Jamie

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Jamie,

Have you by any chance installed any new add-ins recently?

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gary,

No add-ins recently. The last add-in was installed almost 9 months prior to the issues appearing, and everything worked as it was supposed to during the interim - and the computer had been completely rebooted after the installation - several times, so it wasn't a delayed install. But, thanks for thinking of that.

Jamie

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Very much a long shot, but have you looked at Help>About... and checked the 'disabled items' button? I don't have O-2003 here at home to confirm the precise wording, but recall that at work it once just turned macros off, with no apparent warning, and they stayed off until I unchecked a tick box in there. HTH.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    mngerhold,

I appreciate the suggestion - one I hadn't thought of - but, unfortunately, there are no disabled items in any of the applications. Thanks for the idea though.

Jamie