Star Lounger
    Thanks

Migrating from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2010

Fellow Loungers,

I'm about to make the leap to a new PC and move everything over from an XP machine to a Windows 7 machine and install Office 2010. Moving my office documents is no problem but I want to make the migration from Outlook right and I'm having a hard time finding a simple guide to help me. Can anybody help with the basic steps? Many thanks in advance.

Thanks
    What I'd recommend is:
    1. Backup your outlook.pst file to a USB key or CD.
    2. Install your Office 2010
    3. Configure your Email Accounts
    4. Close Outlook.
    5. Replace the NEW outlook.pst file with the backup.

Note: I always move the Outlook.pst file from the default location to my Documents folder. That way it gets backuped when I backup my other data and I can also sync it with my laptop before leaving on a trip.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2011-09-02 at 18:37. Reason: Add instructions
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    In addition to RetiredGeek's comments, there are lots of hits from Googling "outlook 2003 to 2010", the first of which a Microsoft article with pictures!

But anyway, it's a (fairly) simple change.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    Also in addition to RetiredGeek's comments, when setting up your email accounts ensure that you choose manual configuration and point the accounts to the same PST file.

If you allow auto-configuration Outlook 2010 will create a new PST file for each email account.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Retired Geek, BATcher, and Browni. All of this is helpful, although that Microsoft page you recommend BATcher appears very seductive until you realize that it's only a PDF file helping you through the presentation changes accompanying the move to Outlook 2007 or 2010.

I'm afraid, folks, I've made a massive hash of it, in spite of your helpful advice. I didn't manually configure and ended up with a PST file linked to my account that then created two inboxes once I introduced my old PST file. I was, clearly, unable to switch incoming mail from the new PST to the old one. After trying to fix my mistakes, I've only made things worse since outgoing messages take forever and come up with an error that there is no "Sent Items" box to store messages in. In short, my files are a mess.

Is there any way to start over again? All I've really done is scrambled stuff from the new PST and the imported PST and the few messages that have trickled in on a Sunday. A copy of my 2003 exported PST file is still intact on my external drive and I've got copies of the few new messages on my server. Can I ask for some help in trying this all over again? Very embarrassing. It's been a long time since I've done this and the migration was from Outlook Express versions, which was a lot simpler. I'm getting very rusty and would appreciate any help.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Shockingly, I managed to fix the mess I made. For some odd reason, my e-mail initially configured as an IMAP account instead of a POP3 account. Re-configuring my e-mail account and re-importing my old PST file under that new account cleaned everything up and BATcher's instructions and Browni's advice worked out fine. What a way to waste a Sunday! Many thanks again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Even with the mistakes that you may have made, you did the right thing! You do NOT want to use the same OLD PST from Office 2003 with the new Office 2010. 2003 PST's have a size limit of 20 GB, big enough probably but Office 2010 has a 50 GB size limit. If you go over the size limit in the older PST you'll get file corruption and possible lose everything in it. So allowing the new Office 2010 to create a new PST and then importing your old PST info into it was the best option anyway.

If it's a concern you can also copy in your email address auto complete file (NK2) from your old computer to the new one. You just need to copy the NK2 to the default location (AppData\Microsoft\Outlook - Google the default for your O/S) and then, with Outlook closed, go to Start->Run and type "outlook.exe /importnk2" and you're good.