2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

clean install of xp

I am going to bite the bullet and reformat and reinstall xp on a computer that is 8 years old. Why? Because my husband is using it for some of his things. This computer became dragged down a few years ago and we tried various things to speed it up. Nothing really worked and I stopped doing updates because every time I did, it seemed to slow down the computer. It is the XP Home version with 512 mb of memory and 40 gb harddrive. The hardrive has never been more than half full. the one thing my husband likes is Outlook Express for his email. I believe that was part of XP so it should reinstall. The other problem may be Internet Explorer. I don't know what version it came with and I don't think I would be able to run version 8 or 9 on it. What I do want to know is how do I save his email contacts and email files so they can be reinstalled. I realize any updates that were installed will no longer exist. Will I be able to get the updates again? Anything else I should know? This isn't the first time I have installed an operating system.
    Thanks all.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can update to I.E.8...I think originally it was 6 or 5.5 maybe. SP2 should be 6.
    If you need SPs to get it to SP3 then don't let it update through Windows Update; download the SP and then install it after Windows XP is installed. Then you'll only need the updates since SP3 via Windows Update.

There was a neat little program written only to backup OE and I'm sure its still available in some Internet backwater somewhere but to do it manually, the best way is to locate all the files associated with OE and you can find the location of those from OE from the menu (Tools>>Options>>Maintenance tab>>Store folder...button). All the files will be .dbx and should be easy to copy off once you've located and opened the folder they are in (just copy the pathname and either search for it or paste into the address bar of a explorer window).
    You might also want to export the Address book...from the O.E. menu (File>>Export>>Address Book...)

The key to restoring the .dbx files is to run O.E. once from the new installation so it creates the pathnames and new .dbx files. Then you just locate the new Store folder location and copy your saved .dbx files back to that location..overwriting any duplicate .dbx files; import the address book if you exported it and everything should be as it was once your email account(s) is set up again.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinicore For This Useful Post:

xyiegphriedt (2011-09-03)

Thanks
    What I do want to know is how do I save his email contacts and email files so they can be reinstalled.
    Export them to a thumb drive, or burn the root folder to DVD disk.

Files and Settings/The Outlook Express Store Folder
    Root Folder Location:

C:\Windows\Application Data\Outlook Express\{GUID}
    or
    C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Will I be able to get the updates again?
    Yes, you will be able to get updates from Windows Update once again, but I recommend downloading an offline version of
    whatever service pack you need.

1 Also, on an 8 year old computer, do not rely on the disk that was supplied for drivers. They have long been out-dated.
    Get them from the maker of your computer and get the latest ones...And do all this prior to the clean install.
    2 An addition to the amount of memory you currently have could also go along way to help in performance. Your probably using DDR2 which should
    be very cheap to add an extra 2 or 3 GB.
    3 Tips for reinstalling XP
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-09-02 at 19:46.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I second Clint's suggestion of adding more memory. Even another 512 megs will make a world of difference. XP needs a minimum of 1 gig of memory to minimize paging back and forth to disk frequently. Unless you use some memory hungry applications like Photoshop, 1 gig should be sufficient.

If your XP install disk predates SP1, install SP1, then SP3 which should include the SP2 changes.

Jerry

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    currently have IE7 and I would be skeptical about using IE8 on this old machine. That may be the only option after I reinstall unless 7 is still available.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    memory was originally only 256 and added another 256 which didn't seem to help anything. It has RDRAM and the memory chips are RIMM. I had a hard time finding that type when I wanted to add the memory. This is a Dell 8200 purchased in Jan 2002!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just using it for internet, email and one small Access database. The only program installed is Office 2003. Yes it predates SP1 and I think I have a disk with that update.

Thanks
    One or Two GB's of system memory ought to be sufficient for your needs. IE8 is not bad, I still use it in my XP machine.
    For RAM, go here. Let Crucial scan your computer for compatibilities. More and/or better quality RAM will still go along way. You just didn't go far enough
    to make any kind of noticable difference with your previous memory upgrade.

The biggest point here would be to download everything you need prior to any clean install. Planning it out will help ensure everything goes smoother.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

xyiegphriedt (2011-09-05)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Checked the site and they don't have the type of memory needed for my Dell 8200. I was able to get some from a local shop which got me to where I am now. So stuck with what I have at the moment for memory.

Thanks
    You may have an easier time finding your type of RAM on the internet.
    RDRAM/RIMM
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-09-05 at 16:00.