New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 freezing

Hello,

I've acquired a new desktop running Windows 7 and am encountering a freezing issue that I can't seem to fix - I wonder if anyone might have some suggestions...

It's a brand new machine with nothing attached yet besides the keyboard and mouse that came with it. All I've done so far is various Windows Updates and some software (but not much yet...).

The machine has been running for maybe a day and a half and has frozen three or four times, quite randomly, occasionally when I was away from the machine. So either the screen would be frozen (clock showing the time it had frozen) or it was blank as the power settings had turned off the monitor. In either case, the system was completely unresponsive to keyboard or mouse.

When rebooting, I could find nothing significant in the Event Viewer or Reliability Monitor other than a note that "Windows was not properly shut down." Memory test and SFC both show nothing unusual.

If there's a hardware problem, how would I isolate it?

I suppose I can do a System Restore to its initial state, but I'm not sure what that will accomplish. I wonder if there are any other suggestions about how to address this issue.

Thanks for any help ...

Thanks
    As it is brand new, why don't you contact the supplier?

Thanks
    I second Browni recommendation. New machines should work out of the box, and if it does not check with the supplier. It sounds like a desktop so if you are comfortable doing so, you could open the case and reseat everything. PC's have a habit of things getting jarred loose during shipping or transport from a store to house (you don't mention whether you bought from a retail store in your area or online)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions - I do indeed plan to contact the supplier - but since the response is much faster, friendlier and more helpful here than on their helpline I thought I'd try here first . If I can't figure out the mystery without a ridiculous amount of time and effort, I intend to just return the machine and find another one that will (I hope) just work out of the box.

Things getting loose inside the box - that makes sense to me. Can you suggest what exactly it is I should be reseating?

The freezing never seems to happen when I'm actually doing something with the computer, whether CPU- or disk-intensive, only when it's idle. Sometimes it will be idle for a few hours, sometimes only a few minutes. Then - nothing.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ila View Post

The freezing never seems to happen when I'm actually doing something with the computer, whether CPU- or disk-intensive, only when it's idle. Sometimes it will be idle for a few hours, sometimes only a few minutes. Then - nothing.
    First, if there are any seals on covers I would not "crack the box" as it may cause warranty problems. The freezing sounds a bit like some hibernation/sleep problem. You might check out these settings.
    Good luck and let us know of any resolution to the problem.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ila View Post
    Hello,

I've acquired a new desktop running Windows 7 and am encountering a freezing issue that I can't seem to fix - I wonder if anyone might have some suggestions...

It's a brand new machine with nothing attached yet besides the keyboard and mouse that came with it. All I've done so far is various Windows Updates and some software (but not much yet...).
    Return it to the retailer you bought it from if you aren't past their return policy time frame. If you can't return it to the store, then call the manufacturer and request an RMA.

As mentioned, opening the case may well void any warranty return options.

A new machine should work out-ot-the-box, period. This sounds like a Windows issue; Windows runs many things in the background and has a number of scheduled tasks that kick in when the machine is idle, or at specified times. But you shouldn't have to be troubleshooting a new machine.

Put another way, if you had bought a new flatscreen LED TV and it would occaissionally freeze and have to be power-cycled to get it playing again, would you return it to the store or tinker around trying to figure out why it's freezing?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, my thinking was that if there was something clear and obvious to try that would work, I'd rather do that than return the computer and get another one.

Re hibernation/sleep, I had already turned that off through the Control Panel power options, but someone suggested going into the BIOS, where I saw an option to disable SATA power management. I tried that this morning and so far ... no freezes.

But yes, absent any other straightforward things to try I will be returning the computer after the weekend.

Many thanks for the suggestions and observations.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So far so good ... no freezes (yet).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    And two freezes since yesterday.

So -- system to be returned.

Sigh.