Motherboard= DIXONSXP G33M05 MP socket 775
    CPU= Intel quad Q6600
    Cooling= Corsair H50
    Memory= 3GB DDR2
    OS= Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit
    Monitor= Samsung Syncmaster 226BV
    Graphics= Nvidia 8800GT
    PSU= Channel Well Technologies 141 watt

Although this machine has worked well for more than 3 years it now has a minor problem during boot only when starting from cold (the comp has been powered off overnight with mains turned off.).
    during time when bois screen is started the screen is flickering off/on. But once windows starts to load the flickering stops and not problem occur afterwards. After this I can reboot no problem with no flickering.
    I have replaced graphic card from gts250 to 8800gt without solution.
    I have replaced battery with new one.

Can anyone give some light to what may be happening please?
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2011-09-03 at 09:45.

Thanks
    After some Google searches, I've come to the conclusion that you probably meant "BIOS boot time" Eh?

Depending on your monitor, you can get some really weird things happening till Windows loads it's own resolution and video drivers.

The monitor can get confused by receiving several different resolutions. Most new monitors won't do that.

I'd not worry any more about it. OK?

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

curiousclive (2011-09-03)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Drwho.
    The only thing that worries me is this has not done this during bios boot time for over 3 years so why has it started to do this now?
    I am suspecting that the PSU which is a poor rated one at only 141watts is now taking time to reach correct voltage on one or more voltage legs so have oredered a new one at 650watt just to eliminate that.
    But thanks again for your input.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have replaced PSU with Antac True power 650W but still bios screen flashes when started from cold. (Only happens when power turned off fully overnight or for long time. Reboots work OK with the flashing. Have also replaced the memory chips with crucial 2x2GB. But still no solution. Have tried monitor in different comp with no problems which it should not have as only a few months old.
    Beginning to believe motherboard may be on way out now. But if replace that I have effectively bought a new computer.

Oh well that's life on the slow lane.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2011-09-05 at 09:58.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    Beginning to believe motherboard may be on way out now. But if replace that I have effectively bought a new computer.

curious one,
    Hello.....Don't give up this easily ... How about this for a test.....Use a TV as a Monitor( in place of your PC) Find one that has a VGA plug or HDMI and switch over from the PC monitor ...This might tell you if something in the monitor has gone bad. Or if you can configure you TV as a second (clone) monitor Regards Fred

PS: The cold start is the Big Clue... maybe just a loose connector
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

curiousclive (2011-09-06)

Thanks
    Go into BIOS and look for Video adapter settings you can play with:
    Some listed in my BIOS:
    Make sure you don't have on chip video enabled if you are using a PCI Express card
    Init Display first - AGP Vs PCI slot
    AGP data rate
    Game accelerator

There may be more or less settings in your BIOS.

Jerry

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

curiousclive (2011-09-05)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Go into BIOS and look for Video adapter settings you can play with:
    Some listed in my BIOS:
    Make sure you don't have on chip video enabled if you are using a PCI Express card
    Init Display first - AGP Vs PCI slot
    AGP data rate
    Game accelerator

There may be more or less settings in your BIOS.

Jerry
    Thanks Jerry
    Will check that but there is very little options in this mobo bios. Also comp has been working with same hardware fine for 3 years now and nothing in bios changed as far as I can tell. So still thing mobo is on way out as an old model.

Thanks again for your input may be very helpful.

By the way I have ordered a new mobo anyway as change nearly everything else. Will stick with socket 775 to save money on buying new CPU as the Q6600 is a very good CPU and more than capable for use of comp.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2011-09-05 at 13:15.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem discovered. It turns out to be the monitor. After careful examination of the DVI socket I found one the pins was bent. Straightening the pin did not resolve the problem initially but I carefully applied a little solder to pin which thickened it a bit. Then flickering stopped. But picture was not as good with small dots on screen.
    So now ordering a new monitor but it will not be a Samsung as this is the second Samsung to fail on me inside 3 years. Will probably go for another Dell monitor as my other comps dell has been running faultlessly now for over 5 years and is still going strong.
    Could not use that one to eliminate problem as only has VGA socket and I do not have an adaptor handy.

Still at least I now know what was problem even if I have ended up with effectively a brand new computer.