5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installing Vista

I have recently "retired" my 4.5 year old WinXP HP laptop. I would like to reformat the hard drive (to get rid of four years of junk) and install Vista, which was released about 3 months after my purchase. HP sent me a Vista upgrade DVD, which I can no longer find! This machine is Vista capable, but not Win 7. I intend to use this machine for light-duty internet surfing and MS Word, so Vista should do just fine (2GB RAM). I have another PC running Vista and I have had no problems with it.
    I see that Vista is still available on the net, so I am considering spending the $100 or so for the full package. Is this a reasonable approach? Are there any pitfalls to consider?
    Thanks for your advice.
    HH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Sorry if this not what you want, but you can get a Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade license for $119 from Microsoft, which you qualify for given that you have XP installed on the laptop, so why not spend that extra $19 and get 7, which is way better than Vista? It's more stable, it's faster, it supports hardware better than Vista did and it has the most usable interface of the two and it will handle the 2 GB RAM better than Vista did.

If you still had the Vista DVD, probably the $119 wouldn't be justifiable, but if you plan to spend $100 on Vista, this would be a no brainer for me.

Just MHO.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Hillman View Post
    I have recently "retired" my 4.5 year old WinXP HP laptop. I would like to reformat the hard drive (to get rid of four years of junk) and install Vista, which was released about 3 months after my purchase. HP sent me a Vista upgrade DVD, which I can no longer find!
    Howard,
    Hello... I have just recently Installed XP-Pro (last week) on my multi-boot PC. Now XP-Pro , Vista and "7" and a LINUX distro...Not talking whats "under the hood", but there is not much difference ( except "eye candy" ) between the lot... I would first try and contact HP and ask them for a replacement "Vista" disk... probably small fee ... Personally i don't think that it would be worth it to purchase Vista @$100USD..... for free or little cost OK... If your just using your PC for Internet ...Blah, Blah ,... I would just stick with XP...or even LINUX Mint Katya 11 (Free) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib
    Thanks for the info. I thought my laptop would be underpowered for Win7. I don't need aero or any other fancy graphics, so I'll give it a shot. I'll run the MS Win 7 compatibility test to see what else may be a problem. One question. Will the Win 7 upgrade allow a reformat of my hard drive or will it only upgrade XP without reformatting?
    HH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    My experience has been that anything that runs Vista, will run Windows 7 as well. If you don't need aero, then that is even better.
    I can't be sure about the formatting, but my impression is that, yes, you will be able for format the hard drive.

You can even download the Windows 7 upgrade advisor and see if it points out something that you need to worry about.

As a side note, I have been running Windows 7 on a now old Tecra M4, which I bought in 2004, and it is actually faster than XP which I had there before.

Thanks
    I'd stick with Windows XP until you are ready to purchase a new laptop.
    Sounds like all you really need is a clean install and an updating of all your drivers.

A clean install should provide an oportunity to reorganize your filesystem layout and update all your software and drivers.
    There is 10 years worth of great Windows XP tech advice on how to make it run faster and leaner.

For OEM Disks: PC Decrapifier
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-10-06 at 07:33.