Thread: E-Readers

Star Lounger
    Thanks

E-Readers

I have a company that needs to distribute large amounts of information to clients. Am considering the idea of selling an E-Reader with the information preloaded.

Which E-Readers offer the best combination of afford-ability, reliability, flexibility and ease of use?

In advance, thank you.

Larry P

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Kindle that would be very good for that especially if get the wi-fi +3G one. It is possible to download PDFs and Word docs via USB or wi-fi so can take a lot of info with you as well as reading books which are easy to get through Amazon. Although need to create an account with them.
    But for selling to customers would get quite expensive. Would be cheaper to burn the info to CDs/DVDs or flash-drives and sell them to customers.

Thanks
    My vote would be the Nook from Barnes and Noble. We own 2 Nook Colors, but this might be overkill for your application. The regular Nook includes full touch screen and is very highly rated with expandable memory not availble with Kindle.

A similar question was asked a while ago.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-09-05 at 08:14.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think most E-Readers will load PDF's (Kindle says it can).

Is this a document you want to sell or just want to put it in the hands of clients/prospective clients?
    The more things change, the more grey hair I get

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Right now what I have is an idea in its infancy. I am the President of a company that publishes very narrowly targeted technical material. Let's face it, print is dying. This is my attempt to stick my toes in the water to see about what will work as far as electronic publishing.

As of right now, my initial research tells me I need to look at an Android based application that will provide some protection for the materials we distribute. Selling a pdf that can be copied hundreds of times and given freely to anyone else isn't a viable strategy if one is in the business to sell the books. Nor is it fair to the experts who have spent considerable time and effort to write the books. Just looking for a fair to everyone compromise.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Larry P

Thanks
    I have a couple of pdf files already loaded on my Nook. Works very well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Amazon is said to be coming out with an Android based Kindle very soon and Amazon is known to support self publishing, so that may be an option. Going that way would ensure every copy would be protected, at the same time ensuring multiple device access to a legitimate owner. The only downside it's likely to be the fact that their own format doesn't seem to be very suited to books who have more than just text...