Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Recommendations for Registry Cleaner / Repair Software

I've had glitches and corruption that cause BSOD on a number of occasions and they normally result in a OS reinstall usually because the time has come. Lately, I've had some intermittant trouble were I get a reboot and things return somewhat to normal. I assume that there is a registry problem but not sure how to address it.

Can anyone recommend registry repair software for XP SP3 that has a good chance of success ?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Bob A.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob A. View Post
    I've had glitches and corruption that cause BSOD on a number of occasions and they normally result in a OS reinstall

Can anyone recommend registry repair software for XP SP3 that has a good chance of success ?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Bob A.
    Bob

Hello... You might try Windows system restore... Sometimes it works...other times not ... Random "Blue Screens" can be caused by several things...Some as easy to fix as reinserting your "Memory Sticks" others can be caused by software problems EX: video cards or drivers... the list is legion....you do have a few options there are several programs to help ...(Free)
    1. WhoCrashed BSOD Crash
    2. BlueSreenView Nirsoft BlueScreenView
    3. MemTest86 MemTest

Give these a try and post back with your results... Run MemTest for as long as you can

PS: Unless you did something recently...(add or remove something) i wouldn't suspect the registry.Also most important... Do a Backup... NOW. A good free program is Macrium Reflect Free Macrium Free
    Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-09-03 at 19:48.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Bob A. (2011-09-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,

Thanks for your reply. I wouldn't exactly say that I have not done anything lately. I am busy nearly all day everyday and this machine gets a lot of use (Dell XPS410 Workstation). About a month ago, something corrupted my dual video monitor install and it reverted back to a default condition. This is always a headache, but I got it back to normal after a bit.

Then twice recently, I had unintended power off situations due to the power cable being loose. Now in the last few days, I have had a problem loosing my audio that seemed to corrospond to an error message that indicated that a "GenericHostProcess" problem had occurred and something had to close. When I opened the volumn control, it said that nothing was installed. This problem has cleared both times with a reboot.

In an attempt to clean up some, I ran Reimage and it caused BSOD almost immediately during it's analysis. Prior to the shutdown, it recommended that it be run in Safe which I did. It ran to completion, including the repair portion and reported that it had removed 1 malicious program (I usually run it every two weeks or so).

So now I'm trying to decide whether to bit the bullet with a new drive etc. or to do some additional cleanup and hang on for a while. This machine has great horsepower and I beat it to death so naturally I'm not wild about the lost time rebuilding it. I use it heavily in my business and it has a great deal of software for my automation development activities.

I'm not familar with the stuff that you suggested so I'll take a look them now.

Bob A.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,

From Crash Dump Analysis, I'm told that there have been 5 dumps in recent days due to iastor.sys. This appears to be associated with Intel, however I have not yet identified how to get an updated version yet or what to do with it when I do. Recomended Google search: "iastor.sys Intel Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M"

When I do that, a Microsoft reply is first on the list and there is a verbatium print out from another Crash Dump Analysis that shows the same thing. At the bottom, it instructs to download the latest driver from Intel Matrix storage manager. When I followed that link, I did not locate iastor.sys so that one requires more work.

It also directs to download compatible drivers from the manufacturer (I guess that means Dell). I tried to contact them but it appears to be after hours.

I continue to loose my audio periodically and have not found anyway to recover it other than a reboot. I've been through control panel and device manager (XP SP3) and have not located anything wrong on which I have any influnce. If I open Volumn Control when it is working, then "Sigma Tel Audio" shows in the margin. When it is not working, then "nothing installed" is showing.

It appears that when it stops, I'm getting the crash dump reboot.

More later,

Bob A

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    iastor is the driver for your hard disk. This may indicate a hardware problem with your disk controller / drive, or a memory or data corruption problem.
    The first thing you need to do is backup - it's the first thing you should do every day, or the last if you've been working all day.
    The second would be some hardware diagnostics - the disk drive manufacturer will have a disk diag program on their web site.

cheers, Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Bob A. (2011-09-04)

Thanks
    Have you tried SFC /SCANNOW ? Not a registry repairer (almost impossible to do successfully, I would reckon), but it should sort your files out...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

Bob A. (2011-09-04)

Thanks
    A while back, I was given a Dell XPS-400, that Dell would not even take back. They told the user that the PC had a bad motherboard and cpu. They replaced it with a new PC. Within a few months I had to replace the power supply in that replacement unit, as it had already failed.
    The man paid me to install a new and much heavier PSU, because he just didn't want to deal with Dell anymore.

I played around with that XPS-400 for some time, getting BSOD's , reboots, total shutdowns with difficulty restarting, etc.
    A Google search will uncover many complaints about that PC. (bad CPU, bad motherboard, bad power supply, etc.)
    Finally the power supply just totally shot craps and I wound up parting out that system and junking the case, mobo, PSU, etc.

If you can't replace that PC and the problems persist, (and Dell won't help you) I'd put in a new power supply of higher wattage as my first attempt at a fix. I'd go at least 450 watts, or higher, just for safety.
    I suggest that first, because I've already seen power supply failures in that model line of Dell PC's. They can get really 'Wonky' before they totally fail.

Keep your important DATA backed up to Flash Drives or CD's. (even an external USB hard drive)

Good Luck,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the update Doc!
    I had been quite happy with this machine because of it's horsepower with maxed out RAM and huge HD, etc. I also have a USB 3.0 port in it for the MyBook backup (which I recommend). Also, there are dual 24" monitors so my technical work with large spreadsheets are a dream come true.

However, in the last 8 months or so, a variety of problems have occurred and each time, I have recovered through the use of Reimage. This time around, I'm getting the error message: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has to shutdown. At that point, my audio is gone and I'm not sure what else. I am able to continue to do quite a lot such as now running Outlook, etc.

I'm thinking that I'll make a trip this afternoon and pick up another SATA drive and a Power Supply. In the past, I have used a backup harddrive system called Xactcopy and it worked quit well back in the Win2K days. Now I'm wondering whether to attempt to clone this drive before I loose it completely or whether to bit the bullet and start from scratch.

I guess, I'll try a manual cleanup and shake everything and then a power supply swap.

More Later,

Bob A.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The Dell service person ran this routine among other things. There are a series of things that are building up and after three long years, I've decided to bit the bullet. The machine is running right now and so I'm going to pick up a drive and a new power supply. in the mean time, I'll spend a few days to get ahead of my contracted work and then around the 15th, I'll do the rebuild.

hopefully, I can learn about the best ways to preserve as much as possible regarding MS Office settings (E-mail, Excel, etc) and iTunes (apps).

Thanks Much,

Bob A.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

hopefully, I can learn about the best ways to preserve as much as possible regarding MS Office settings (E-mail, Excel, etc) and iTunes (apps).
    Bob ,
    Hello... Just Image your OS using Macrium Reflect Free, and save it to an external HD, Flash Drive , DVD's, or 2nd Internal HD. Then Install your new setup and run the Macrium boot disk and re-install the "whole shooten match" (Image) to the new HD Macrium Free post back if you need more details. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK Fred,

I did the download, and it looks a lot like Paragon and others. What is it that I need to run now that will be run after I have reinstalled all the software on the new drive / OS ?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    OK Fred,

I did the download, and it looks a lot like Paragon and others. What is it that I need to run now that will be run after I have reinstalled all the software on the new drive / OS ?
    Bob,
    Hello.... You need to make the "Boot-able" recovery disk ( part of the Macrium program)... Then make the "Image" and save it off your main HD ... After you make the "disk" plug it into your CD\DVD RW and re-boot If all goes as planed the disk will boot you into the Macrium program ...at that point don't "pull the trigger" (do a recovery) just click out ...This way you will know that the disk will work Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK Fred,

I'm really trying to do this smarter that I have in the past which has always been to start over from scratch. With the current state of this machine, nothing in the OS is trustworthy. Disk Manager cannot even see the main harddrive, yet it is still working somewhat. The registry is likely corrupted since it now takes about 15 -20 minutes to boot when it used to be 1 minute or less.

It sound like your scheme is to boot and cope an image to a new drive which would be great if I was confident that the image was good. Since at this point in the game, my software may be OK, but the OS absolutely is not. So, I'm thinking that I need to do a partition and format on a new drive followed by a clean OS install. At that point, I will be looking at a whole pile of drivers and software and associated configuration "stuff" that takes a month to refine. It is this that I would like to minimize.

Now that I read this, it is coming to me that this is the "stuff" that is stored in the registry that is part of the problem. So it does not look to as though I have much chance of getting a clean install without doing it from scratch.

I will be paying a lot more attention to keeping a clean image next time around.

Thanks for the lessons...

Bob A.

Thanks
    Bob A, If your OS is as bunged up as you suggest then yes a reinstall sounds like your best option. Or a clean install to a new disk, even better. One thing you might want to consider, I'm just thinking out loud here, in my mind this would be an ideal time to upgrade to Win 7 and start fresh. Sorry if this seems out of bounds, it's just my 2 cents for what it's worth. In today's economy perhaps 1 1/2 cents.

I always try to recreate my Images whenever I make a change to my OS or apps. I also keep ALL my data on a separate drive so even if my Image is a few weeks old, my data stays where it was if I have to restore from a slightly older Image.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted,

The PC is three years old and it gets run a lot. My normal practice is to put only the OS and software on C: and everything else goes somewhere else. In this case I only have a C: drive because when I got the machine my intention was to put in a solid state drive as D: for playing music & videos, etc. While the cost of doing that has not dropped as fast as I expected, the cost of doing it with thumb drives has.

I've had a few serious glitches in recent months, but each time I recovered with Reimage but now I have a problem with an error: General Host Process for Win32 Services has to Close. When this happens, the audio mixer console is gone and so is the audio. I think that this is one of the many ill-advised "svchost" entries on the Task Manager Process List. I would seriously like to meet the hackers who though that putting a whole list of routines on that roster of active processes without any obvious identification, was a good idea!

It seems that right before this message popped up, there was a flurry of CPU activity and occasionally, I got a Norton popup warning of high CPU usage. I'm fairly sure that this flurry of activity was Microsoft Security Essentials. When I tried to remove it, I was prevented by the fact that something else was trying to install due to a cleanup effort that was done by the manufacturer. Once I killed that install, and did the uninstall, things settled down a bit.

As for the Windows 7, I have been giving that some serious thought and I have already purchased it so it is on the shelf. One issue could be that of hardware compatability(Dell XPS410). Another consideration is that I'm already tired of fighting with Office 2007 so that means staying with Office 2003. It may be time to give this at try on a new drive.

It would be nice to find a sled for a SATA drive so that I could preserve that old one, externally. I have two old sleds for PATA drives and they work great.

It is raining here all day so maybe a trip to the Best Buy is in order. They are showing a 500 GB PATA for $45.

Best Regards,

Bob A.
    Last edited by Bob A.; 2011-09-05 at 10:13.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast