2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

"Out of system resources" message when emptying Deleted Files folder

Hello again, Colleagues All.

Where would I be without the excellent advice I get from this forum ! Here is my latest problem.

I am running Outlook 2010 on a Windows 7 machine and I am getting a message "Out of memory or system resources. Close some programs and try again" when I try to physically delete files from my Deleted Files folder. What is odd is that this happens immediately after I have booted up my system and Outlook is the only program running. Can anyone help resolve this peculiar situation ?

Thanks
    Have you tried starting Outlook in safe mode and then emptying the deleted items folder?
    Owise, how about opening the deleted items folder and manually deleting the contents by selecting a few items at a time until you locate the culprit. I would suspect any folders in there might be the cause especially if they are large.

Jock

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Jock,

I have tried deleting small quantities of files (half a page, say) and it will work once or twice before the message kicks in again. The same thing happens when I highlight individual files and hit the delete button. When you say "Outlook in safe mode" do you mean Windows safe mode, or is there an Outlook-specific safe mode. I don't think I have ever seen the latter. I will explore the setup options and see what I can find.

Jim W.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Aha! I found it! I found it! Click on the File tab, then Info, then Mailbox Cleanup. One of the options is to empty the Deleted Items folder. Seems all too easy, but one would have thought that Info would simply point one to written information and that a separate Tools folder would have been more logical. However, I suppose this is what Microsoft does (sigh)! Anyway, many thanks for your contribution, Jock. At the very least, it showed that my mind is still functioning in the same way as other peoples !

Jim W.