Thread: Macrium Reflect

Thanks

Macrium Reflect

I am considering using Macrium Reflect with Windows 7. I currently use Ghost 15, it has worked well but has one issue for me. I'd like to be able to set the program (from within the Windows interface) to do a restoration, after which it would reboot and do the operation. I've done this with Acronis 2009, but Ghost (and Windows 7 imaging) require the computer to be booted from the boot disk in order to do a restoration. Since I sometimes dto support for people by logging in remotely, the boot disk requirement is a problem.

So my question is, will Macrium Reflect allow me to set up a restore from within the Windows interface?
    Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Vincenzo,
    Interesting question .... Question ...Where is the "Image" that your trying to restore to the remote PC on?... When your doing the "Remote" thing does the remote PC Hard Drive now show up in your Macrium Que? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Are you asking whether you can overwrite the system partition of a currently-running Windows installation?

If you can achieve this, good luck in your new job...!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Fred,

The image that I would be restoring would reside on the D: drive of the computer generally, although I have also done this with an image on an external hard drive. And I've not used Macrium so I can't answer your question about the Que.

BATcher,
    In my original post I wrote: "I'd like to be able to set the program (from within the Windows interface) to do a restoration, after which it would reboot and do the operation." So no, it would not be a currently running Windows installation.

Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    Fred,

The image that I would be restoring would reside on the D: drive of the computer generally, although I have also done this with an image on an external hard drive. And I've not used Macrium so I can't answer your question about the Que.
    Guess I'm still not getting it ...Let me try again...If your restoring an Image with Macrium on your PC... yes you can do that from within windows ...It will just re-boot and recover... If your trying to restore an "Image" to a remote PC ...then i can't answer your question. Because on the remote PC would have to have a Image created by Macrium to restore to. Hence my original question ... If your running Macrium from your PC, and then access a remote PC and try to restore a Image to it. "Can Macrium now see the HD of the remote PC"? And wheres the Image located... on your PC or theirs? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    It's on their PC, on a D: partition on their hard drive. It would have been created previously on that computer, using Macrium.

Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2011-09-04 at 17:03.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    It's on their PC, on a D: partition on their hard drive. It would have been created previously on that computer, using Macrium.

Sorry for the confusion.
    Hello... Then the answer is yes... Then their PC should just re-boot and recover (No disk involved) Same as when you do a recovery from windows on your PC Regards Fred
    PS: The Recovery disk is for when you can't boot into windows
    PlainFred

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2011-09-04)

Thanks
    OK good.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    I've just installed Macrium and I am looking through it. I do not see any mention of whether or not it backs up the boot sector. Searching the help files produces no info.

In Norton Ghost it backs up the boot sector and in the restoration setup I can choose whether to restore the boot sector or not. Does anyone know if Macrium backs up the boot sector when a drive is imaged?

Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I've just installed Macrium and I am looking through it. I do not see any mention of whether or not it backs up the boot sector. Searching the help files produces no info.

In Norton Ghost it backs up the boot sector and in the restoration setup I can choose whether to restore the boot sector or not. Does anyone know if Macrium backs up the boot sector when a drive is imaged?
    Vincenzo,
    When you do a partition backup (or Whole HD) The Image is Boot-able. I have done it both ways ..Doing just a partition, or a entire hard drive. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    OK thanks.

I looked in the Help files for MBR instead of boot sector and found information. Apparently there is a dialog you can access during the restore process that gives you the option of restoring the MBR. I'll have to do some experimenting with it.

Thanks