Lounger
    Thanks

Enlarging Outlook Capacity; New Install of Outlook 2010

I have many years of Outlook files saved (e-mails, contacts and calendar). If I recall correctly, I brought those files forward to newer versions of Outlook by copying the .pst files (regular & archive I think?) to the new Outlook program. I've periodically run into issues with running out of space for e-mails and have received a message about some way to enlarge the capacity. (I'm sorry, but it's been many weeks since I saw the error / suggestion prompt and I can't recall the exact wording.) My old computer died, but I had backed the files up to an external hard drive before its demise.

I'm now starting "fresh" with a new install of Office 2010. My new computer features Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Is there a way to maximize my available Outlook file space before bringing over the old stuff I want to retain from my external hard drive? Stated differently, is there some other way that I can bring the old data forward without restricting the space so that I don't have to purge the In Box so frequently?

Thanks for any suggestions y'all can provide!

Victoria

Thanks
    Why not just copy your old PST file to a separate folder on your new drive (not over the PST file Outlook 2010 creates). Then, add it to Outlook 2010 following the instructions here. This will create a second folder tree with your old information while new data will go into the new trim pst file Outlook 2010 created.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    A 2010 pst file has a size limit of 50 GB. Isn't that enough for you? If it's not, the size limit can be changed as explained here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832925

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much for the replies. Jerry, I have the .pst files on a DVD and am eager to try the technique you shared. Ruirib, the problem was that I believe I was simply copying over the new .pst files when I got a new computer and that seemed to bring forward some restrictions from a very old version of Windows. I'm hoping that the method Jerry shared will bring forward everything I need, but not the restrictions of several years ago. Again, thanks!

Thanks
    Also, Outlook can slow down with large pst files. That's one reason Outlook sets AutoArchive by default.

Jerry