2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Strange Behavior

I'm developing aFE/BE application on a Win 7(64) machine using Access 2007. This machine hasnever had any prior version of Access. The application will be distributed to both Win 7 and XP machines eachwith only the 2007 Runtime environment installed. The current code has notrequired the addition of any references.
    • The code runs fine on Win7 in as either an accdb or accde.
    • I have two XP machines for testing, one that has only the Runtime environment and one with Access 2007 no Access 2003 on either. When I port the FE to these machines, I'm getting "Class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface" when I open either of two more complex forms. All other forms and reports work fine.
    • If I simply recompile the FE on the XP with Access, I still get the error.
    • If I make some trivial change to the code on the XP machine and recompile, the application now runs fine on the full XP Access machine and on the XP Runtime machine.

• If I take the tweaked code back to the Win7 and continue development, I run into the same problem when testing the updates on the XP machines.
    So far inresearching this problem, all the comments seem to revolve around having both2003 and 2007 on the same machine, which is not my case.

Appreciate any thoughts on this.
    Marty

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Can you post the offending code?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Marty,

Have you checked out this article from MS.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Sounds like it may be the Windows 7 SP1 upsdate issue with DAO.

Do you have the Windows 7 SP1 update installed?

To insure compatibility I would recommend that you make the .accde in the lowest OS you want to support. In your case XP SP3. To do this I use XP Mode in Windows 7. This is included free with Windows 7 Pro and higher.

TIP: I also use Virtual PC to create several VM's for testing.

Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert

Last edited by HiTechCoach; 2011-09-07 at 23:01.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I assume you are not trying to run 64-bit Office? I wouldn't go there.

What are you trying to do when you get the Automation error? I recently had problems with a client who had Office 2010 (Student/Home) version and we installed the Access 2010 Runtime. Got an ActiveX error trying to open a Word mailmerge document from Access. Turns out Word wasn't getting registered as an Automation Server, and it was impossible to do because Office was installed with the "Click To Run Technology" activated! We are currently going through the process of uninstalling then re-installing Office.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comments, I'll try to answer your questions.

I am running Win 7 with SP1 and I am not running Office 2007 in 64 bit mode.

I have read the Microsoft Run-time Wizard article, but have run into a couple of problems in trying to use it. Fortunately my first several installations are all local so the convenience of an install package is not a top priority at the moment. I do expect to get back to trying to figure how to make it work. Has anyone run across other documentation on the wizard?

I've installed debug traps at the top of main and sub-forms' On Open, On Load and On Current events. I get the error message before any of the code fires when I open the form. So it seems on the surface I don't have problem code in the more typical sense. I am not using automation in the main or sub forms. There is quite a bit of code behind the forms doing editing and using DAO recordsets. So with no particular code section to point to and 25-30 pages of code, it doesn't seem me to be of much help to post the code.

I've had a chance to try the compatibility suggestion and the results were the same.

Thanks
    I had a suspeti0on you had Windows 7 SP1 installed. Windows 7 SP1 created has known compatibility issues with DAO. It is exactly what you have described.

If you make the accde on a machine runing Windows 7 SP1 then it will only run on Windows 7 SP1 or later.

The best answer I know at this time still is:
    To insure compatibility I would recommend that you make the .accde in the lowest OS you want to support. In your case XP SP3. To do this I use XP Mode in Windows 7. This is included free with Windows 7 Pro and higher.

Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach

Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach (Access Information here)
    "If technology doesn't work for people, then it doesn't work."

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    ... Windows 7 SP1 created has known compatibility issues with DAO. It is exactly what you have described. ...
    I've been looking for documentation on this issue and haven't found any. We are chasing a performance issue with Win7 SP1 and SQL Server that works just fine on XP systems.
    Wendell