New Lounger
    Thanks

Style Numbering - different formats of same number

I am working in Word 2003 SP3.

I have a style numbering issue with Deeds. I have a deed template set up with heading 1 as "1." and bold uppercase. Heading 2 is "1.1" and bold.

What I need is a separate style for a non bold non heading version of 1.1 but continuing.

I have managed to set up a separate style based on heading 2 and removed the bold and keep with next for this purpose. This does work, but not how I would like it to. I had to remove the bold from the style number 1.1 so that the new number was not bold. I need to make the heading 1.1 bold and have the new style number not bold.

I am now recreating this template and would like to do this correctly but I don't know how.

I am attaching the template and hope someone is able to assist me.

I have very little VBA knowlege but if that is the only way to do this, I will work with that.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In your template, you've properly got the numbering outline set up, with a Heading style associated with each level of the numbering outline - so Heading 2 is associated with the second level of the numbering outline, which produces the "1.1".

The problem you face is that you can't (properly) associate a second, different style, with the second level of the numbering outline - each level can only be associated with one style. And if you try to somehow associate a second, different style with the second level of the numbering outline, you'll only break the first outline - essentially ending up with two different, broken outlines.

I'd make the Non-heading style not associated with any autonumbering, and use a ListNum field at the start of any Non-heading paragraphs, to insert numbering that follows the numbering outline. You could even set up a dummy paragraph like that, save it as an autotext, and then add a button to your custom toolbar to "Insert Non-heading paragraph".

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Gary

I tried this method and it does give me the type of numbering I need but I would still like this numbering to be part of of the multilevel numbering whereby tab promotes to the next level and shift tab demotes. I am guessing this cannot be done.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The only other thing I can think of is to use Heading 2 in both scenarios, and for the 'non-heading' paragraphs, use direct formatting to turn off the bold - but not really ideal - and using promote/demote on a given paragraph would actually revert the formatting back to that of the underlying Heading 2 style, if you ever did a promote and then demoted back.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I agree - not ideal. I may just have to put up with my heading 2 style (1.1) not being bold as that is the only way my non-heading style will work correctly (eg no bold) and not appear in the toc which is how it should be.
    Thanks for your help.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What you've done should work fine, but you should not set any formatting in the numbering--so it can take its formatting from the paragraph styles.

I've never seen this done for regular text before, but it certainly solves a problem I've seen. Thank you for asking your question.

Pam
    Last edited by PamCaswell; 2011-09-05 at 21:07.