Star Lounger
    Thanks

"Update" leaves Windows 7 unbootable, "file corruption"

My son was browsing the Net on his mother's Windows 7 business laptop and encountered some type of "upgrade" message. I did not see it, but he confirmed that when he canceled it, the message reappeared (not a good sign). They had just set up a cable modem in a new apartment and plugged the $@%@$ laptop right into the modem before I had a chance to install a new router. I don't know what kind of security was active on the laptop at the time. There's a good chance there was some kind of anti-virus suite running, but in an unknown state of update. In any case, the next morning the laptop would not boot. It gets past the text-like "loading software" status bars, then automatic recovery kicks in and fails. I've attached screen shots of what little detail can be viewed.

I've tried doing several rollbacks to previous good configurations, but the same error occurs and I'm wondering if they have been the victim of a botched rootkit attack. I've looked at the recent Windows Secrets features about doing a non-lethal reinstall, but I'm not optimistic. Any comments? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    I would try the Win 7 Repair Install by booting to the Win 7 Installation disk and following the steps outlined in the linked article. If you do not have an installation disk download the iso file with SP1 from Digital River. Your original key will unlock the proper version of Windows.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by imjcarls View Post
    I've tried doing several rollbacks to previous good configurations, but the same error occurs and I'm wondering if they have been the victim of a botched rootkit attack. I've looked at the recent Windows Secrets features about doing a non-lethal reinstall, but I'm not optimistic. Any comments? Thanks!
    Hello... You can try booting into safe mode and running Malwarebytes Free Malwarebytes Free If you have to download MWB to a flash drive and run it from there... It's worth a try Regards Fred

PS: In the future do not "X" out of these type of things They are configured to load when you do this ...Instead use "Task Manager to "End Process"
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-09-05 at 14:31.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Hello... You can try booting into safe mode and running Malwarebytes Free Malwarebytes Free If you have to download MWB to a flash drive and run it from there... It's worth a try Regards Fred

PS: In the future do not "X" out of these type of things They are configured to load when you do this ...Instead use "Task Manager to "End Process"
    I should have mentioned that it won't boot in safe mode either.

Was the "do not 'X' out" message intended for me? I'm not sure what the context would be. (Edit: You were probably referring to the original "update" message. I'll definitely be advising my son about that.)

Thanks!
    Last edited by imjcarls; 2011-09-05 at 15:30.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm downloading the Home Premium 32 bit in case she can't find her original disk (and hoping the key is somewhere on the laptop). I think this is the correct flavor, but is there any way to tell if it was actually a 64-bit version? I can probably rig up a Vista or XP boot CD just to get into the primary disk and look around, but if there was something easier to do (maybe Toshiba support has the S/N on file) that would be good to know. Thanks...

Thanks
    I'm not sure if you can tell which "flavor of bitness" you had installed unless you can at least boot into Windows. You can look at the specs of the PC on the manufacturer's site to see if the PC is capable of 64 Bit. If so, and there is at least 4 GB Ram installed, you probably had 64 Bit since 32 Bit can not access 4 Gb Ram. it's limit is somewhere around 3.5 Gb. If the PC is capable you might want to consider 64 Bit OS. I would read about 32 Bit versus 64 Bit and decide.

By the way I believe the 32 Bit download includes all versions and your key would unlock the correct version (HP, Pro, Ultimate). I believe the 64 Bit download also does.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    If you can't boot into windows, you can't do a non destructive repair install of Windows 7. You will have to do a clean install which will wipe out all your existing program installs and may wipe out your data. If you select a custom install and don't format your hard disk during installation, data files should be saved to a Windows.old folder on the partition you installed Windows 7 on. However, you should still back up your files if at all possible. If you have data files that are encrypted, you might not be able to access them after reinstalling Windows 7.

With the corrupt file notification in one of your snapshots, i would use the recovery option when booting the install disk to get to the cmd prompt and run chkdsk /f first. You could also use the recovery option to try System Restore.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hate to add my 2-cents worth. You have received great responses. However, FYI, when Windows applies Updates it usually creates a Restore Point. You could revert to this restore point and start over...if there is one and it is not corrupted.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One suggestion if the data is important (and you are tech savvy): Remove the HDD from the laptop, attach it to another PC with a SATA (or PATA) to USB adapter (about $20.00 at most PC hardware stores). Access the drive and run antivirus. You can also back up your data this way in case you have to do a destructive reinstall.

New Lounger
    Thanks

OEM and Retail?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I would try the Win 7 Repair Install by booting to the Win 7 Installation disk and following the steps outlined in the linked article. If you do not have an installation disk download the iso file with SP1 from Digital River. Your original key will unlock the proper version of Windows.
    Ted, if I may, will this iso work with both the OEM and Retail versions of Windows 7?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IGotItHereSomewhere View Post
    Ted, if I may, will this iso work with both the OEM and Retail versions of Windows 7?
    It will work with RETAIL versions of Windows 7. OEM versions have a slightly different makeup so that your key should not work with retail install media.

Joe

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

IGotItHereSomewhere (2011-09-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks

OEM and Retail?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    It will work with RETAIL versions of Windows 7. OEM versions have a slightly different makeup so that your key should not work with retail install media.

Joe
    Thank you.