New Lounger

CPU using 100% CPU assets after log on.

Win 7 Ultimate.

After I turn the box on and log in, my CPU-gadget will show that something is using 100% of the CPU assets. I try to get task manager up, but it takes a while due to the unknown program using the assets.
    When I do get Task Manager open, It opens in the single user mode and I have to go to "show processes from all users", since the single user shows normal usage. That takes more time. By the time I get that open, the CPU has settled down to minimal use.

Is there a way I can set Task Manager to open automatically in the 'show all users' mode, upon boot up? I would really like to know what is using up all the CPU assets.

I have run Malwarebytes scan, CCleaner Registry Scan, and Avast Antivirus in both "boot" and Windows modes, along with a few other online AV scans, and all show optimum performance, no malware, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Manning, South Carolina
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 1,324 Posts

Welcome as a new poster!

What I'd do is check what programs are running at startup. You can do this several ways:
    1. Use MSCONFIG {type it in the run box} and check the Startup tab.
    2. Download Autoruns from the Microsoft SysInternals page.
    3. Or you can look in the registry keys:
      • HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
      • HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run but I wouldn't attempt this unless you know what you are doing in the registry.

With MSCONFIG & Autoruns you can disable them one at a time and find out which one is the CPU hog.

Good Luck
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Randy, I would also like to welcome you as a new poster.

Have you actually looked to see what is starting with Windows? Perhaps there is something that runs for a while then shuts down. Many apps will show the startup folders. You mentioned CCleaner. Under Tools you can view the start up items in the Startup tab.

OK RG you beat me this time. Cheers, Ted
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-09-06 at 15:11.
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

I would use any of the startup tools mentioned above (Msconfig will work as well and is already installed on all windows machines) and disable all the entries in the startup tab. Reboot and see if you still have the problem. If so, use a process of elimination to determine the culprit. Enable half of the startup items, reboot and see if the problem occurs, if yes disable one at a time until you find it. If no, enable the rest one at atime until you find it.

I would also download and run Malwarebytes and run a full scan to be sure you haven't picked up some undetected malware.