Lounger
    Thanks

Can't get Sys Admin privileges in Windows 7

I gave myself 'System Admin' privileges when I set up my new computer with Windows 7. But some things are not running as expected and I can't find the "System Admin" account that the book says should be there when I do "Switch User". In my usual account, with 'System Admin privileges', why am I getting this??

78.jpg

Thanks
    You need to use an elevated command prompt to do what you are trying.

Click the start orb, type cmd in the search box and when cmd.exe appears in the list right click on it and select run as administrator.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, that helped but it didn't solve my problem ... maybe I didn't give the best example. What I'm trying to do is modify my 'task bar' as my regular user with Admin Privileges. But everything is all grayed out. If I switch to 'Admin' and do it, it works just fine (But the 'Admin's' toolbar is not the same as mine). Why won't it work with 'me' and my 'Admin Privileges'?

76.jpg

Thanks
    Remove the checkmark from "Always show all icons..." at the bottom left hand side.

You then have control on how all of the icons will be displayed.

EDIT: As you appear to have limited Windows 7 knowledge so far, I would advise that you do not use the Administrator account.
    Last edited by Browni; 2011-09-06 at 00:26.

Thanks
    How To Geek shows how to enable the hidden by default Administrator account.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted. I tried the "How To Geek" instructions and received this:

81.jpg

When I set this system up, I remember that my regular user account has 'Admin Privileges' and there are times when I click on something a window pops up that says something to the effect 'this requires Admin user' ... continue? - quit?'. I just click 'continue' and the thing runs fine. I just don't know why I can't get to the 'Admin User' on the DOS command prompt.

Thanks
    Try typing the following in your command prompt window: CD windows\system32 then enter the above command. I think the syntax is correct, if not someone jump in here.

When I open a command prompt it shows: C:\Windows\system32> Perhaps your command prompt is not opening to the correct area to find the command you need.

Or perhaps try: CD C:\

If you have Win 7 Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise try this method from Windows Seven Forums.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-09-06 at 20:39.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    It's finding the right file by using $PATH, otherwise I'd receive 'file not found' instead of 'access denied'. But, I did cd to 'windows\system32' and tried the command again but received the same message ... 'access denied'.

Thanks
    The command you are invoking is to make the Windows Administrator account active (it is disabled by default). This can only be done by a member of the Administrators Group.

In order to execute Administrators Group level privileges in a command prompt, you must first open the command prompt as a member of the Administrators Group. This can be done from an ordinary user account if you know the password of an account that is a member of the Administrators Group.

Click Start > All Programs > Accessories

In the Accessories menu right-click "Command Prompt" and select "Run as administrator" (or you can get to it a number of ways, but you must right-click and select "Run as administrator"). You will get a User Account Control dialogue box asking if you want to allow the program to make changes to the computer, and there will be a password field where you can select which administrator account you wish to use, and enter the password for that account. Then click yes.

What you are trying to do using the command prompt can't be done unless you open the command prompt with "Run as administrator" and enter the correct password for the account you choose. Even if you are running as a member of the Administrators Group, if you just left-click on "Command Prompt" you will not get Administrators Group level privileges. You must right-click and select "Run as administrator".

But in any case, it is better to leave the default Administrator Account disabled in all but a couple of special cases.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Starting with Vista and continuing with Windows 7 even though your user account is a member of the Administrators Group that does NOT mean you have complete unfettered access to the system as you did in XP (or earlier). That is why you must use "Run as Administrator" to accomplish some tasks.

I agree with Browni & bbearen, you should leave the builtin Administrator account disabled.

Joe