iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Windows-like security for Android devices

LANGALIST PLUS

Windows-like security for Android devices

By Fred Langa

Long-time Windows users will see something very familiar in Android phones and tablets.

Android feels a lot like early versions of Windows. So, applying your hard-won Windows know-how will smooth your way when working on Android devices.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/windows-like-security-for-android-devices/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Restoring to dissimilar hardaware

Quoting the newsletter :
    "Can a Windows 7 backup be restored to different hardware?"
    Yes, but it's not ideal.

Dear Fred, I have been reading your columns for ages, and I want to thank you for all I learned from it.

I strongly disagree with the opinion above.
    In those times of fast changing hardware, especially the case with portable computers a user can very easily be confronted with a situation where the hardware of the computer cannot be fixed, and where there is no similar hardware avalailable anymore.
    Therefore restoring an image backup to dissimilar hardware is of capital importance to almost everyone.
    Indeed finding a second hand computer can be done in minutes and there the user goes again after the restore.

May I take the liberty to mention Farstone Total Recovery ?
    A 3-user/computer copy of this software costs only 88.99 dollar.
    This program does include a "Universal Restore" option that I have tested on many occasions, saving my contacts an incredible number of hours.

Obviously there may be some work indeed finding missing drivers, but this task is much lighter than reinstalling numerous programs.
    I suggest you readers have a look at the full featured trial version that works for 14 days and try it on dissimilar hardware.

Best regards.

Thanks
    Missing Outlook Express

In three versions of Windows, Microsoft has given us three incarnations of the basic email program. I just tell folks to use ThunderBird instead. Makes moving to a new machine easier, too.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re permissions to access contacts

Does your chess game allow you to invite others to play? If it doesn't have permission to access your contacts list, then you'd have to do the invite all by hand. I have a scrabble-type game that will send invites to contacts to play a game. I assume it has permission to look at my contacts, which doesn't bother me.
    I appreciate your helpful column.

Thanks
    Fred has just answered a question that really came home to me this weekend when faced with evacuation from Texas wildfires. In the first trip to the car, were both laptops and my backup portable drive. Now that the immediate threat is over, I have had time to wonder whether my desktop backup on that portable drive would restore to another computer if my current desktop was melted down!

Then I started thinking about the possibility of backing up to my laptop via my home network. Got that question answered when I searched and found that Win7Home Premium doesn't do this. Would an upgrade to Professional be worthwhile. I'd have to buy it for both machines, I guess.

Barbara

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    Fred has just answered a question that really came home to me this weekend when faced with evacuation from Texas wildfires. In the first trip to the car, were both laptops and my backup portable drive. Now that the immediate threat is over, I have had time to wonder whether my desktop backup on that portable drive would restore to another computer if my current desktop was melted down!

Then I started thinking about the possibility of backing up to my laptop via my home network. Got that question answered when I searched and found that Win7Home Premium doesn't do this. Would an upgrade to Professional be worthwhile. I'd have to buy it for both machines, I guess.

Barbara
    Hi Barbara,

You would be much better off downloading and installing Macrium Reflect Free Edition or paying for their Pro edition, or paying for Acronis True Image than upgrading to Win7 Pro or higher. Windows Backup is still not up to par with these programs. You can find many threads in the Security & Backups Forum about these two alternatives.

Thanks
    Thanks for responding Deadeye, but that wasn't my question. I already have and use Macrium. My concern was twofold.... if my desktop machine burned to the ground, I wanted to know about restoring the backup to new hardware. Fred addressed that.

Then I segued into the other question about backing up via network. I should have started a new thread for that. Sorry.

So NEW question here...... does Macrium pro or Acronis TI provide for backing up to the network?

Barbara

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    Thanks for responding Deadeye, but that wasn't my question. I already have and use Macrium. My concern was twofold.... if my desktop machine burned to the ground, I wanted to know about restoring the backup to new hardware. Fred addressed that.

Then I segued into the other question about backing up via network. I should have started a new thread for that. Sorry.

So NEW question here...... does Macrium pro or Acronis TI provide for backing up to the network?

Barbara
    I answered your concern about backing up to another drive on your network by suggesting Macrium and Acronis. The link I provided for Macrium makes it clear it can be used to backup to a drive on your network. Acronis does so as well. That is much more economical than upgrading to Windows 7 Professional to obtain network drive backup capability.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

midnight (2011-09-09)

Thanks
    Ah SO! Macrium Pro does full backups including data? This is what you are trying to get through my feeble brain. The free version only does System Images; have I got that right now?

I do thank you for responding and for this information. I'll go visit Macrium now and check into the paid version. I'd rather do that anyway.

Barbara