2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade memory for dell 8200 XP

This is an XP Home computer with 512 mb of memory. Original memory was 2 x 128mb PC800-40. Later added 2 x 128mb that was PC800-45. What does the 40 or 45 mean? Can my Dell 8200 use either? I want to get 4 x 256 for a total of 1 Gb of memory. Confused about whether it needs to be 40 or 45? The computer is a Pentium 4 1.8 GHz.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    The 40 & 45 refer to how fast the memory responds in nano-seconds. I'm somewhat surprised that you added slower memory and it worked OK. It all depends on the bus speed of your PC. The Dimension 8200 had two different models, one with a 400 Mhz bus and another with a 533 Mhz bus. If the machine is functioning OK with both speeds then either will work. If you have a choice buy the faster (i.e. 40ns) version.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

xyiegphriedt (2011-09-07)

Thanks
    Really you can use either one.The 45ns and 40ns (nanoseconds).I hate to tell you this,But it's a little expensive.The kind of memory you are talking about really isn't in great demand.
    IMHO,you are better off putting a new computer together (or) buy another package deal.Such as you have already.What ever you decide to do the best of luck.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chowur For This Useful Post:

xyiegphriedt (2011-09-07)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That helped as I thought 45 might be newer. The slower memory was added because a local shop gave it to me.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have seen 1 GB (4 x 256) on ebay for under $25 and thought I might purchase it. If it isn't in demand they should be giving it away!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xyiegphriedt View Post
    I have seen 1 GB (4 x 256) on ebay for under $25 and thought I might purchase it. If it isn't in demand they should be giving it away!
    Be sure it is RDRAM and not SD-RAM. Check your machine at Dell.com by entering the Service Code on their Support page. I was going to upgrade my Dimension 8200 a couple of years ago and 2GB of RDRAM was going to cost $2,000! Needless to say I got a new DELL Dude!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

xyiegphriedt (2011-09-08)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is RDRAM. I bought a new Windows 7 computer a while back and it was not a DELL Dude. But still use the Dell with XP for a second computer. XP is still better than Windows7.

Thanks
    As long as it is a match for you system, $25 is a decent price for antiquated memory.

Thanks
    On any PC, not just an old one,,,,,, to find out just what you have and what your PC can use,
    go to www.crucial.com and download and run their RAM Scanner.

It will tell you exactly what type and quantity of ram you already have and what you can get
    to improve performance. Crucial also sells the very TOP Quality ram at decent prices and warranties
    it for Life. You can even buy new ram right there on their website, using your CC.

I do this for my computer customers, all the time. I use Crucial exclusively for my own RAM purchases.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!